What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gemini rotary selector

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Anyone used a rotary / selector switch as an autopilot master.
My intent is to select
OFF, ON (independent), G3X, GTN

Which switch worked for you.

Thanks.

Being that the AP is controlled by the G3X via the CAN bus I don't think your plan is feasible.

A/P Switch

You don't need a stand-alone switch to change inputs to the Garmin A/P. Select internal nav (G3X) or external (GTN) via the EFIS. Nav/heading/track mode is selected on the A/P controller. A separate switch to turn the A/P on and off would be required.

Trutrak uses this approach for failure

Being that the AP is controlled by the G3X via the CAN bus I don't think your plan is feasible.

In talking with the folks at Trutrak a couple years ago they agreed with the approach of switching GPS sources. If the G3X dies the most simple and effective method is to have an independant switch.
If the G3X dies you can always leave the CAN bus leads tied to the Gemini and just rotate to serial inputs from the GTN.

Cheers.

In talking with the folks at Trutrak a couple years ago they agreed with the approach of switching GPS sources. If the G3X dies the most simple and effective method is to have an independant switch.
If the G3X dies you can always leave the CAN bus leads tied to the Gemini and just rotate to serial inputs from the GTN.

Cheers.

Garmin's CAN bus is not compatible with TruTrak or a std serial bus.
If you're talking about using a TT AP with Garmin then yes you can switch 232 sources to the TT.
Not sure why anyone would use a TT AP with a G3X though.

Last edited:
Arcinc not canbus

Garmin's CAN bus is not compatible with TruTrak or a std serial bus.
If you're talking about using a TT AP with Garmin then yes you can switch 232 sources to the TT.
Not sure why anyone would use a TT AP with a G3X though.

Hi Walt

So we stay on target, the canbus on the gemini is not used. Its ARINC and it does talk to the G3X. It documented in the pinout.
And the purpose of the G3X being primary is because I have an SL30 behind each G3X. The G3X paints the path for the gemini. If I loose the gemini it won't follow a VOR or ILS directly so I'd need to transfer to the GTN.

Hope that clarifies.

Back