- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Convert RV6 to RV6A

Would it be difficult to convert a RV6 to a 6A? The fuselage is under construction with the front legs and tail-wheel attached. Nothing has been done on the empennage and no engine is attached.

If this is possible, what would be the cost of parts for such a change?
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM

This thread should help you.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...Converting+RV6

Charlie
Old 08-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Default Noooo! Don?t do it!

Noooo! Don?t do it! Just learn to fly the tailwheel version! I wish more were converted the otherway..back to the conventional (tailwheel)!
Horizontal Stab done! 2-15-2020
Vertical Stab Done! 5-27-2020
Rudder Done! 5-31-2020
Wings ordered!...
Old 08-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Default Easy change

Jack, it is not difficult at any stage and really not a big deal where you are in your build. Build the plane you want - nobody else's opinion is relevant.

If you want to make the change, now is the time. The biggest reason to do it now is you can get the new motor mount with the new nose wheel design. I made the change - with the old motor mount a few years ago. I will probably change to the new mount in the near future. The change is pretty straight forward. The biggest choice you will have is if you want to take the hardware the tail wheel inserts into out of the back of the fuselage or leave it in. I left it in rather than drill out rivets and open the skin up to remove it. I dont know the weight and it is as far back as you can get so it is a consideration in your W&B.

You will be able to sell your old motor mount and gear to one of the expert tail dragger pilots who ground loop and bend their planes so some of the costs can be recovered. Vans has made it easy to get the parts since several have done it and they have good instructions. Have fun with it!
Flying N376E
Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 PM

Do what you must, but perhaps before you do, consider spending some time with Bruce Bohannon. He is in Texas and is the most laid back, easy going professional instructor you could ever find.

Here is what others have said about Bruce : http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...Bruce+Bohannon

Bruce Bohannon - Contact Info

Email: flyalegend@gmail.com

Cell: 281-889-8078

Last edited by F1R : 08-15-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 PM

Why is it assumed the poster wants an A model because he can't fly a TD? Some of us just like the look and vision while on the ground better, insurance rates, and it has nothing to do with skill level as a pilot.

Jack, I will look for some of the photos I took when I made the change. You can email me if you have any questions.
Flying N376E
Old 08-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post

Why is it assumed the poster wants an A model because he can't fly a TD? Some of us just like the look and vision while on the ground better, insurance rates, and it has nothing to do with skill level as a pilot.

Rocky I have a buddy here in NE (non RV) who is all about how well erected the conventional gear airplane looks on the ground. Tells me how beneficial it is on unfriendly surfaces but he landed on none. It's usually after a couple beers and goes on for years. When I tell him let's compete let's go to a strip of your choice and see who lands shorter. He says he couldn't afford the risk

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Rocky I have a buddy here in NE (non RV) who is all about how well erected the conventional gear airplane looks on the ground. Tells me how beneficial it is on unfriendly surfaces but he landed on none. It's usually after a couple beers and goes on for years. When I tell him let's compete let's go to a strip of your choice and see who lands shorter. He says he couldn't afford the risk
The "A" model will land shorter because you can achieve a higher AOA on flare.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The "A" model will land shorter because you can achieve a higher AOA on flare.
Mel with your signature ... I'll start off and say you are right, but.....

How much shorter my friend? I can see the geometry and understand the aerodynamics, but landing short takes a lot more than gear configuration. You also still have to take off. For soft field operations which usually goes with SHORT, the Tail-Dragger is better in my opinion, even if the Trike can land a few feet shorter.... Take off for all models of RV's is longer than landing, so this is not a real advantage. The Trike is about 3 mph slower cruise/top speed. I don't think Van's states different landing distances. The Trike is about 3 mph slower cruise/top speed.

I flew my RV4 w/ short gear legs. I landed with a few MPH above stall in three point typically, which was not full stall. I did that so I did not hit the tail-wheel first. However if I wanted to do full stall, tail wheel hit first and then it plopped onto mains. It was not as elegant or smooth. The pitch angle at touch down was not an issue to land short. I landed and turned off in 300 feet even wheeling it on.

I agree with the other comments. Fly a tail dragger..... Go out and find some tail dragger and take a few lessons. It is not difficult.

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 08-30-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
How much shorter my friend? I can see the geometry and understand the aerodynamics, but landing short takes a lot more than gear configuration. You also still have to take off. For soft field operations which usually goes with SHORT, the Tail-Dragger is better in my opinion, even if the Trike can land a few feet shorter.... Take off for all models of RV's is longer than landing, so this is not a real advantage.
This sounds like a post made just for the sake of arguing a point?

I don't disagree that with any airplane, if the takeoff is longer than the landing then it could be argued that short landing is of no value, but that is wrong. It takes much more skill of the pilot to plant the wheels on a specific spot on a runway, at a very specific speed, than it does to execute as short of a takeoff run from a specific spot. So being able to land shorter than taking off can be of value.

Regarding the comment Mel made, the physics is pretty basic.... an airplane will fly at its slowest possible speed when flown near its critical angle of attack. Slowest speed equates to shortest take-off or landing.
A tail dragger RV-6 can not attain any where near critical angle of attack when the gear is in contact with the ground. An RV-6A can get much closer to doing so.

Note that this should not be construed to mean that just any pilot will be able to make an RV-6A take off or land shorter than any other pilot in an RV-6.
It requires a lot of practice to fly an RV out at the edge of the performance envelope, but the difference in performance potential is real.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")