What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

changing carb. floats

I have to slide the carb throat out of the rubber sleeve to make room to drop the bowl. Loosen the clamp around the rubber sleeve, rotate the carb a bit to break it loose from the rubber and slide it out. That gives me enough room to swing the bail out of the way and drop the bowl.

Initially I was very reluctant to mess with my carburetors and figured if it ain?t broke don?t fix it. Eventually I started opening them up to check for debris and look at the floats. I found them to be pretty robust and resistant to most beginner mistakes. I would suggest going to one of the ROTAX courses and get the instructor to pull one apart. It?s not really part of the service or line maintenance courses (appliances are part of the Heavy Maintenance Course), but most instructors will take a few minutes to open one up and dispel the mystery.

You might find it advantageous to remove the air filter on the right-side to provide sufficient room to pull the carb out of its socket. The left-side carb can be removed from its socket with its air filter in place. Be careful when removing the bowls as there may be some residual bowl fuel splashing about.

Back