What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN V6.62 Software Update, May 30, 2019

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
--- Updated June 10, 2019, Software Available Now --
Hello,

The GTN V6.62 EAB service bulletin and software are available for download in our standard location on the G3X/G3X Touch software download page.

We are very pleased to announce some new GTN integration with G3X Touch including display of the selected altitude intercept arc on the GTN map (like is already shown on the G3X Touch map) and VFR flight plan editing on the G3X Touch displays and automatic transfer to the GTN.

Here is a list of new features and improvements in GTN V6.62:

• G3X Touch flight plan editing - Pilots who have a GTN 6XX/7XX installed alongside a G3X Touch flight display in an experimental/amateur-built aircraft now have additional flight planning and editing options. VFR flight plans can now be completed on the G3X Touch display, and then automatically synced to the GTN for added convenience when using either the G3X Touch or GTN.
  • The GTN 6XX/7XX now displays a selected altitude intercept arc on the moving map when it?s installed with a Garmin primary flight display (PFD) such as the G500 TXi/G600 TXi, G500/G600 or G3X Touch. When pilots input a preselected altitude on the PFD, the selected altitude arc will populate on the map page to indicate where the aircraft will arrive at that particular altitude.
  • For customers with SiriusXM Aviation Weather, pilots now have the option to alternate between base reflectivity and composite reflectivity NEXRAD weather radar imagery.
  • Improved availability for advisory vertical guidance (LNAV+V) on LNAV approaches in areas around the world without SBAS coverage.
  • When SiriusXM aviation weather or FIS-B weather cannot be displayed on the GTN 6XX/7XX, the ?no coverage? area of weather is transparent so pilots can still view airports, basemap information and more.
  • A VNAV aural alert is now available for Top of Descent (TOD).
  • Traffic and weather from a GNX 375 can now be displayed within the GTN 6XX/7XX.
  • When paired with a compatible ADS-B In product such as the GTX 345 or GDL 88, pilots can now access the latest FIS-B weather products on the moving map alongside flight plan information and dedicated weather pages within GTN 6XX/7XX. These new weather products include lightning, cloud tops, turbulence, icing (current and forecasted), graphical AIRMETs and center weather advisories (CWA).

Note: To utilize flight plan syncing between G3X Touch and GTN 6XX/7XX, GPS 175, and GNX 375, "External FPL Crossfill" must be enabled in normal mode on the System Setup page, and "External FPL" must be enabled on the Main System configuration page in configuration mode.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
GTN 650 software update

Steve,

Although your post doesn?t specifically mention the GDL-39 3D, this device has two data in/out connections. Would one of these data in/out connections be able to display ADSB in on the GTN 650.

Steve,

Although your post doesn?t specifically mention the GDL-39 3D, this device has two data in/out connections. Would one of these data in/out connections be able to display ADSB in on the GTN 650.
Hello Oly,

The GTN does not interface to the GDL 39.

Thanks,
Steve

Kudos to Garmin

The ability to push flight plans from the G3X to the GTN has been the one thing I most wanted to see as an added feature.

Thanks so much for the continual improvements to an already superb series of products.

The ability to push flight plans from the G3X to the GTN has been the one thing I most wanted to see as an added feature.

Thanks so much for the continual improvements to an already superb series of products.
Hello Krea,

Your are very welcome, and thanks for your kind words.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
How is VFR flight planning different from IFR flight planning? Is it just the ability to load approaches?

How is VFR flight planning different from IFR flight planning? Is it just the ability to load approaches?
Hello Cannon,

That is close.

VFR flight planning is the flight planning you can currently do with a G3X Touch system. You can create a flight plan with airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections, user waypoints, and even cities, and each time you edit the flight plan, it is automatically sent to the GTN.

Should you need to load a published departure, arrival, or approach, you would need to switch to the GTN to perform that function.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

No SBAS in Australia but I already get LNAV+V on my GTN650 so what extra does this new update (point 4) give?

Fin 9A
Australia

Steve,

No SBAS in Australia but I already get LNAV+V on my GTN650 so what extra does this new update (point 4) give?

Fin 9A
Australia
Hello Finley,

I had the same thought when I read this in the public announcement.

I reviewed the more detailed change description in the Service Bulletin. This change appears to be an improvement to the existing feature rather than a new feature.

The above bullet has been changed to read "Improved availability for advisory vertical guidance (LNAV+V) on LNAV approaches in areas around the world without SBAS coverage.".

Thanks for pointing this out,
Steve

Hello Cannon,

That is close.

VFR flight planning is the flight planning you can currently do with a G3X Touch system. You can create a flight plan with airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections, user waypoints, and even cities, and each time you edit the flight plan, it is automatically sent to the GTN.

Should you need to load a published departure, arrival, or approach, you would need to switch to the GTN to perform that function.

Thanks,
Steve

So direct to being pressed on the G3X Touch would then get transfered to the GTN?
Also, will this be available on the certified G3X Touch as well?
And also... if you have a flight plan that has an approach loaded and multiple waypoints... will it be possible to activate a leg thru the G3X without really "modifying" the flight plan at this point?

So direct to being pressed on the G3X Touch would then get transfered to the GTN?
Also, will this be available on the certified G3X Touch as well?
And also... if you have a flight plan that has an approach loaded and multiple waypoints... will it be possible to activate a leg thru the G3X without really "modifying" the flight plan at this point?
Hello,

A Direct-To is actually something that is handled a little differently in certain cases on the GTN, so for now, if you want to perform a Direct-To, you would need to do that on the navigator (G3X Touch or GTN) you are using.

With this new GTN V6.62 software and the existing G3X Touch software, while you are entering an internal flight plan on any GDU 4XX display in the G3X Touch system, it is automatically synchronizing the entered flight plan with the GTN. The GNX 375 and GPS 175 navigators were also released with this capability.

While you can't load/activate SIDs, STARs, and approaches through the G3X Touch display, you can at least enter a multi point flight plan through the big display without touching the IFR navigator, and then touch the External flight planning button on the G3X Touch GDU to switch to using the external navigator where you will load/activate an approach if you need to fly a procedure at the destination.

If you are making a VFR flight, you can leave the G3X Touch in internal flight planning while automatically keeping the IFR navigator synchronized with changes in the flight plan in the event you need to switch to the IFR navigator at any time in the flight.

The certified G3X Touch has not yet been evaluated/approved for using this functionality, and it is not known if/when it will be.

Thanks,
Steve

I installed the following updates and flight tested today. Everything appears to work. I also noticed my GTR 200 and GTX 45R also updated. The cloud top data indicated "loading data" at 3500 MSL, it never completed loading. Is this because the sky was unlimited VFR during the flight?

Garmin Software
GDU 4XX Cockpit Display (Microsoft Windows Installer), Ver. 8.20, as of Mar 22, 2019,
SERVICE BULLETIN 1934 - Service Bulletin Document: GTN 6XX/7XX, Ver. 6.62, as of Jun 07, 2019,
Service Bulletin 1934 - GTN 6XX/7XX Software Loader Image 006-B1367-3G, Ver. 6.62, as of Jun 07, 2019,

Thank you Garmin for developing a truly integrated and affordable avionics stack for the experimental market.

Steve at Garmin?
What ADS-b weather functions currently display on the GDU 4XX (new 8.2 software), GTX 45R and GTN 650 (6.62). I noticed on my WX page that the cloud tops and lighting have a weather tab but continue to say "loading data" when pushed. No data is received. I do not have XM. Do I have a software setup issue or is this something Garmin is working on?

Steve at Garmin?
What ADS-b weather functions currently display on the GDU 4XX (new 8.2 software), GTX 45R and GTN 650 (6.62). I noticed on my WX page that the cloud tops and lighting have a weather tab but continue to say "loading data" when pushed. No data is received. I do not have XM. Do I have a software setup issue or is this something Garmin is working on?
Hello jdmrv7a,

You should be able to receive them all, but as explained in this posting, the 4 new products (all forecast only, not observed, except for lightning) currently require a Bluetooth connection to the GTX 45R.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Excuse the basic question as I?m just now learning my G3X system and not at my plane right now. How does one establish the Bluetooth connection between the G3X and GTX45R? I?ve searched in vain to find a user guide for the GTX, only an Installation Guide, so is the GTX automatically in discovery mode and I see/establish the connecting through the G3X Bluetooth connection setup, just like a GDL as explained in the G3X pilot guide?
Hello Tom023,

That is correct. The GTX 45R should show up in the Bluetooth pairing list on your GDU 4XX (just like a GDL) as long as it is mounted in a location where the Bluetooth signal can reach the GDU.

Thanks,
Steve

I upgraded mine to 6.2.2 last night and it failed to upgrade the WAAS board. My understanding is that this update does not have an update for the WAAS board but I am hoping to confirm it here.

Software documentation and misinformation

Just want make everyone aware to avoid problems. This is as of a few days ago. The documentation states using a 2GB to 32GB SD card. The max size of the SD card is 8GB. The unit will not read anything bigger than 8 GB.

Also had tech support tell me to use the unit's data card to load the "Loader card s/w" and the only thing I would need to do is re-install the nav data. DO NOT use the unit's data card! The install from the pc to the sd card will completely erase the data card. Luckily I called Garmin again to verify. This time the tech person said do not use the unit's data card.

Also when you call tech support they will ask you if you are a dealer. Of course when you say no they come back and say you must go to a dealer for the software update. Tell them you are 'Experimental' and then they will help you with questions and the install. It's amazing that Certified must go to a dealer to get the upgrade for something that takes less than a minute from start to finish and pay a dealer to do it let alone having to take the time to fly over to an aviation shop to get it done. I'm glad I'm experimental

Last edited:
G3X flight plan to GTN

The G3X lack of ability to create and make flight plan changes to the GTN navigator has always been the most displeasing feature for me to deal with. I appreciate that Garmin has at least done something.
I?m presently flying the new software and it seems to function as advertised.

For me it doesn?t accomplish much. The en route flight planning it works just find. Nice but remember this is a low workload portion of the flight.
However, for the procedures flight planning we are still dealing with the same problem of making and changing the flight plans at the GTN navigator and flying it at the G3X. This is the highest workload part of the flight that most of the changes are being made and the demands of flying aircraft are the greatest. This is the phase of flight I have less time to deal with a different box. Fly The Airplane First. As an instructor I have to deal with one very bad thing that the new technology does and it subtracts from the time available to fly the aircraft.

If you?re using a G3X Touch system for VFR only the GTN navigator has no advantages for you. You?ll be far better off getting a 2nd G3X or a G5 as backup and spend less money.

The only advantage of a GTN navigator is IFR. (Garmin please fix this interface it will improve safety) it will give more time to flying the aircraft. We are single IFR Pilots without copilots to help enter data in different boxes.

The G3X lack of ability to create and make flight plan changes to the GTN navigator has always been the most displeasing feature for me to deal with. I appreciate that Garmin has at least done something.
I?m presently flying the new software and it seems to function as advertised.

For me it doesn?t accomplish much. The en route flight planning it works just find. Nice but remember this is a low workload portion of the flight.
However, for the procedures flight planning we are still dealing with the same problem of making and changing the flight plans at the GTN navigator and flying it at the G3X. This is the highest workload part of the flight that most of the changes are being made and the demands of flying aircraft are the greatest. This is the phase of flight I have less time to deal with a different box. Fly The Airplane First. As an instructor I have to deal with one very bad thing that the new technology does and it subtracts from the time available to fly the aircraft.

If you?re using a G3X Touch system for VFR only the GTN navigator has no advantages for you. You?ll be far better off getting a 2nd G3X or a G5 as backup and spend less money.

The only advantage of a GTN navigator is IFR. (Garmin please fix this interface it will improve safety) it will give more time to flying the aircraft. We are single IFR Pilots without copilots to help enter data in different boxes.

In the past the Garmin VFR database for the G3X tough did not include approaches and when I switched to this database vs the Jepp database, I lost the ability to load approaches on the G3X Touch.

If you have the more expensive Jepp database and the latest GTN firmware, does this solve your issue above or no?

In other words, if you have the Jepp database can you load the approach on the Touch and it crossfill to the GTN?

In the past the Garmin VFR database for the G3X tough did not include approaches and when I switched to this database vs the Jepp database, I lost the ability to load approaches on the G3X Touch.

If you have the more expensive Jepp database and the latest GTN firmware, does this solve your issue above or no?

In other words, if you have the Jepp database can you load the approach on the Touch and it crossfill to the GTN?
Hello Brian,

Having a Garmin or Jeppesen navigation database doesn't change the fact that you can't load an IFR approach on the G3X Touch system and send it to the GTN. All IFR approaches need to be loaded/activated on the IFR navigator. There is a massive amount of certified software in each IFR navigator to support all the functions associated with loading/activating/flying instrument approaches in IMC conditions, not the least of which is all the integrity monitoring taking place to make sure a deteriorating navigation signal does not get followed into the ground.

As mentioned in a previous posting, while you can't load/activate SIDs, STARs, and approaches through the G3X Touch display, you can at least enter a multi point flight plan through the big display without touching the IFR navigator, and then touch the External flight planning button on the G3X Touch GDU to switch to using the external navigator where you will load/activate an approach if you need to fly an approach at the destination.

If you are making a VFR flight, you can leave the G3X Touch in internal flight planning while automatically keeping the IFR navigator synchronized with changes in the flight plan in the event you need to switch to the IFR navigator at any time in the flight.

We agree that this doesn't turn the G3X Touch system into a G1000 system, but it does provide some nice IFR navigator synchronization for the VFR flying most people do most of the time when using internal VFR flight planning on the G3X Touch displays.

Thanks,
Steve

If you’re using a G3X Touch system for VFR only the GTN navigator has no advantages for you. You’ll be far better off getting a 2nd G3X or a G5 as backup and spend less money.

I agree, if you never plan on using the GTN for IFR then doesn't make much sense to install it.

However if you do fly IFR or plan on getting the rating the GTN comes in quite handy. I personally never flight plan thru the G3X, I use the GTN exclusively for navigation. This way you learn and use all the features of the GTN on a regular basis so when actually in the soup you're not fumbling to try to figure it out.

Last edited:
Hello Brian,

Having a Garmin or Jeppesen navigation database doesn't change the fact that you can't load an IFR approach on the G3X Touch system and send it to the GTN. All IFR approaches need to be loaded/activated on the IFR navigator. There is a massive amount of certified software in each IFR navigator to support all the functions associated with loading/activating/flying instrument approaches in IMC conditions, not the least of which is all the integrity monitoring taking place to make sure a deteriorating navigation signal does not get followed into the ground.

As mentioned in a previous posting, while you can't load/activate SIDs, STARs, and approaches through the G3X Touch display, you can at least enter a multi point flight plan through the big display without touching the IFR navigator, and then touch the External flight planning button on the G3X Touch GDU to switch to using the external navigator where you will load/activate an approach if you need to fly an approach at the destination.

We agree that this doesn't turn the G3X Touch system into a G1000 system, but it does provide some nice IFR navigator synchronization for the VFR flying most people do most of the time when using internal VFR flight planning on the G3X Touch displays.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the clarification Steve. Had no idea since I could not test it myself (no Jepp database on my setup). I upgraded and flew the new features yesterday, it all works beautifully giving many another option for easy navigation.

Last edited:
Hello jdmrv7a,

You should be able to receive them all, but as explained in this posting, the 4 new products (all forecast only, not observed, except for lightning) currently require a Bluetooth connection to the GTX 45R.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I have talked to Garmin Experimental help desk and I believe we have double checked all the Bluetooth and other settings. The Cloud Top and Lightening information is not being received on my G3XT-460. It continues to say "Loading Data" on the weather page, Cloud Top tab. Has Garmin confirmed that this ABS-b service is working on the v8.2 software?

Steve,
I have talked to Garmin Experimental help desk and I believe we have double checked all the Bluetooth and other settings. The Cloud Top and Lightening information is not being received on my G3XT-460. It continues to say "Loading Data" on the weather page, Cloud Top tab. Has Garmin confirmed that this ABS-b service is working on the v8.2 software?

It works as advertised. I just flew with it on Saturday and it loaded and displayed all the new products on my Bluetooth connected MFD.

As expected the hardwired PFD did not.

It did take a while for them all to load up.

Back