What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dual skyviews

edward7048

Well Known Member
My RV-12 ser.# is 120361 so my wiring was for the D-180 but buy the
time I ordered my avionics kit Van had switched to skyview system.
I then have cable assy. to convert the D-180 wiring to skyview. My
question is will Van's dual skyview kit work with my system?

Adding a second Skyview screen is simple and the fact that you have the model with the conversion harnesses should not affect that. Basically, you connect a short Ethernet cable between the two, power, and you parallel-wire the serial ports wires. oH, also the Skyview network. mIght be more complicated if you added the Skyview switch/knob panels.

Note the SHOULD in that statement.... Us with the conversion harnesses have a variety of audio problems. Such as:

Inability to use certain headsets, either singly or in combination, seeming to have a stereo-mono relationship but not always. (My friend's Bose doesn't work at all in my plane but a cheap headset does fine.)

The isolate switch on the intercom isolates the pilot, not the passenger, although the wiring "seems" correct.

Passenger side getting significantly better Skyview warning annunciations audio than the pilot. Poor sound quality in general.

Your problem with the AOA sound.

(And in my system, I bought and added the Dynon ADSB box. It was supposed to work by using the ADSB DB connector on the magic box - but didn't. i used the power for thatbOK but the serial had to bypass the AV5000 and go directly into the 37 pin plug.)

Some have disconnected the music wire at both ends and found some improvement on some issues.

This is frustrating. It is difficult to adjust the potentiometers on the AV5000 magic box. Tracing the wiring is difficult. Etc...

My solution? This coming winter when flying is bad I am going to redo all of the audio wiring and totally take it out of the AV5000. Radio, intercom, Skyview sound - wire it as if it was any other RV without the AV5000. The manuals have all the pinouts, should be straightforward. When it is done I'll do a post on it. IF I find something useful in the process I'll post that as well.

Last edited:
Back