What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-409 to F-712 questions (keeper rivets)

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey All-

I'm at the stage where I'm instructed to install two keeper rivets through the F-712 bulkhead into the WD-409 tail spring mount and have a couple of questions.

Drawing 27 detail view A-A doesn't seem to give enough info to locate these vertically, and Vans is closed today so I can't call to clarify. What are people doing here?

also, seems like it might be better to leave these out until the aft fuse is checked for twist? What say you?

Check for twist now, then stop worrying about it. Pick a couple places where no other rivets or bolts are going to be, check your drawings, then drill a couple holes and put the rivets in.

Important things:
1) That weldment will never come back out, so paint it if it's not already.
2) You gotta install the vertical fin, so make sure that area is all flush riveted.
3) If the tail spring isn't already drilled to the weldment, stop and do that first.

Rock on.

Hey Terry

In that drawing A-A they give you everything you need. It shows 1" down from the last hole (two places) and 1/2" over from that centered hole.
Hope that helps. I made sure that I was all squared up zero twist before I drilled through and installed rivets.

Arnie

Last edited:
The one inch down call out is from a rivet hole on the lower rudder hinge bracket. Think it’s impossible to dimension unless I get the vertical stab out of storage, which is what i was trying to avoid.

I also elected to hold off on keeper rivets until I get the rest of the aft tail cone assembled. Doesn’t seem like any downside to holding off.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
The dimension you're looking for is 19/32 from the center of the tooling hole.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_103109.jpg
    IMG_20200603_103109.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 178
Back