- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Hartzell CS Prop slinging grease

Recently, my 12 year old - 800 hr CS Hartzell C2YR- prop began to sling grease from one blade. I retorqued the spinner / prop bolts with no effect.**Before I send the prop off for a 2,500-3,000 overhaul, I thought of reaching out to you guys first to see what your experience / advise on reseals / overhauls.* Any recommendations of a prop shop in the Southeast?

Thanks in advance,

Greg*
Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM

Replace the grease zerks.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Check your manual, but I believe you will find that prop has a 72 month calendar TBO as well, if you care to follow it.

If you do have it overhauled, you can opt to replace the Aeroshell 6 with 5. It has better separation qualities but you are limited on the low temp end to something like -20C, again check your manual.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysrv10 View Post
Replace the grease zerks.
I fixed one by sticking a piece of safety wire in the zero fitting and reseating the little ball.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-13-2020, 03:36 PM

Mine slings grease in the winter months but tightens up when the weather warms up.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM

I know posting pictures is more difficult now with less free hosts... but how much grease. A little is OK and normal. To service you removed one zerk and grease it slowly from the 2nd zerk slowly, until you get squeeze out; don't pressurize hub with grease. Yes heated hanger, room temp grease is best. Keep an eye on it. I agree cold temps may make grease spitting more.

Here is my advise "evidence of grease from hub on blades." Solution; "Remove evidence." Get a rag and wipe it off each flight.

2020 Dues Paid
Old 01-13-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
To service you removed one zerk and grease it slowly from the 2nd zerk slowly, until you get squeeze out; don't pressurize hub with grease.
That's not quite correct for Hartzell's. From the Hartzell Propeller Owner's Manual, page 6-9 & 6-10:
CAUTION 1: OVER-LUBRICATING AN ALUMINUM HUB PROPELLER MAY CAUSE THE GREASE TO ENTER THE HUB CAVITY, LEADING TO EXCESSIVE VIBRATION AND/OR SLUGGISH OPERATION. THE PROPELLER MUST THEN BE DISASSEMBLED TO REMOVE THIS GREASE.
CAUTION 4: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUMP MORE THAN 1 FL. OZ. (30 ML) OF GREASE INTO THE LUBRICATION FITTING. USING MORE THAN 1 FL. OZ. (30 ML) OF GREASE COULD RESULT IN OVER SERVICING OF THE PROPELLER.
(8) Pump a maximum of 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) grease into the lubrication fitting, or until grease emerges from the hole where the lubrication fitting or lubrication hole plug was removed, whichever occurs first.
NOTE: 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) is approximately 6 pumps with a hand-operated grease gun.
(a) For all tractor or pusher propellers with clockwise (standard) rotation when viewed from BEHIND the aircraft, apply grease to the lubrication fitting that is in the ENGINE-SIDE hub half.

(b) For all tractor or pusher propellers with counter- clockwise (backward) rotation when viewed from BEHIND the aircraft, apply grease to the lubrication fitting that is in the CYLINDER-SIDE hub half.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflugel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 01-13-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
That's not quite correct for Hartzell's. From the Hartzell Propeller Owner's Manual, page 6-9 & 6-10:
CAUTION 1: OVER-LUBRICATING AN ALUMINUM HUB PROPELLER MAY CAUSE THE GREASE TO ENTER THE HUB CAVITY, LEADING TO EXCESSIVE VIBRATION AND/OR SLUGGISH OPERATION. THE PROPELLER MUST THEN BE DISASSEMBLED TO REMOVE THIS GREASE.
CAUTION 4: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUMP MORE THAN 1 FL. OZ. (30 ML) OF GREASE INTO THE LUBRICATION FITTING. USING MORE THAN 1 FL. OZ. (30 ML) OF GREASE COULD RESULT IN OVER SERVICING OF THE PROPELLER.
(8) Pump a maximum of 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) grease into the lubrication fitting, or until grease emerges from the hole where the lubrication fitting or lubrication hole plug was removed, whichever occurs first.
NOTE: 1 fl. oz. (30 ml) is approximately 6 pumps with a hand-operated grease gun.
(a) For all tractor or pusher propellers with clockwise (standard) rotation when viewed from BEHIND the aircraft, apply grease to the lubrication fitting that is in the ENGINE-SIDE hub half.

(b) For all tractor or pusher propellers with counter- clockwise (backward) rotation when viewed from BEHIND the aircraft, apply grease to the lubrication fitting that is in the CYLINDER-SIDE hub half.
I agree don't over grease and follow the manual. You get some squeeze out after only a few pumps (less than an OZ). Great reference thanks. Vibration with grease loss should be addressed. I was aware you can over grease, but having two zerks with one removed should not force grease into hub... but follow manufacture instructions...

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 01-13-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 PM

Default Prop shoo

I?ve been using Texas Aircraft Propeller in Houston 281-485-4400. They run a truck around the region and will pick up and deliver. I have been satisfied with their work and pricing.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 01-13-2020, 10:50 PM

I know the manual says this

Quote:
but when I look at the specs for a variety of grease guns, they're all over the map in terms of how much they dispense. I've always done 6 pumps, but if you're really anal retentive, it seems that each model of gun is different and it may be more or less than 6. Like, a lot more. Or less.

I doubt it matters *that* much, but YMMV.