What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

705 E doubler issue

Jwputnam

Well Known Member
I am producing the 705 bulkhead on DWG 20. When I match drill the 705 E doubler to the 705 D bulkhead side channel, I see that the edges have also been matched but there is no call out for rivets. I assume that I am not to match drill or rivet these edges yet, but when I look ahead in the plans, I cannot see where these holes come into play, although I assume that they hold the skin perhaps. If I match drill them later after the doubler has been riveted in, they will not be able to be deburred!

What am I misunderstanding here?

John

Sheet 28. Forward side skin rivet callout. I dimpled all three layers. 705-d, 705-e and outer skin. I hope this answered what you were inquiring about.

Assuming that you match drilled this and dimpled, how did you deburr? Didn't the metal shavings jam between the layers? Perhaps you dimpled when completing the 705 bulkhead?

Perhaps I am confused.

John
Maybe Im missing something. The 705-E doubler gets prepared like any other part. It nests behind the the 705-D bulkhead but the side holes do not get riveted until attaching the side skin. As you can see on the 705- front assembly view the doubler 705-E gets riveted to the 705-D with 470ad4-4 rivets. The side flanges will have been dimpled waiting for you to install the side skin eventually.

Edit. Dont over-think the match drilling part. Build the 705 bulkhead, drill, debur and dimple. When it comes time to install the skins drill the skin holes to the appropriate size, debur, dimple and install. Below you can see that my doubler was installed long before the skins were being worked on. The side flanges match drilled and deburred and dimpled.
DSCN1015.JPG

Last edited:
Assuming that the sides are match drilled to a skin, one will be drilling through two sheets of Aluminum without the ability to separate them for deburring since they have been riveted already.

I guess that I will just move on and see what comes of it when I get to installing the skins.

Thanks for your kind response.

I don't remember the details of this part of the construction but I do remember a couple of occasions where I needed to remove chips from between two sheets of aluminum.

The tool you need is called a "chip chaser"

Google will show it to you.

Back