What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

plastic side vent on rv-7

bill v

Well Known Member
I plan on pro-sealing the plastic vent on the side of the skin and have 8 clecos holding the vent on I want to use number 3 rivets in the holes but wondering if the plastic vent can hold up to the pressure of the rivets being driven the directions say blind rivets are ok. but I would prefer to use 426 rivets anyone have advice? thanks.

You might use soft rivets & not crack the plastic.
Truth of the matter, if you're going to use proseal, you may not even need the rivets at all. That's what I did.

Blind rivets are best for that. Solid rivets swell in the hole and can crack the plastic.

I plan on pro-sealing the plastic vent on the side of the skin and have 8 clecos holding the vent on I want to use number 3 rivets in the holes but wondering if the plastic vent can hold up to the pressure of the rivets being driven the directions say blind rivets are ok. but I would prefer to use 426 rivets anyone have advice? thanks.

I used -3 rivets on mine, widely spaced and with proseal, and had no problems. I drove the rivets after the proseal had cured, using the holes for clecos to hold the thing in place while the proseal was wet.

Unless you already have the rivet holes drilled why rivet. If the surfaces are scuffed and clean the proseal will hold the plastic vent secure. No chances of cracking the plastic.

I did mine exactly how Chiefpilot described above. I used 3.5 rivets with a minimum shop head.

IMG_0700.JPG

I did the same as CheifPilot and the photo above with 7 rivets. One at the fwd tip and the rest evenly spaced to the back. The main purpose is for clekos to hold the part while the proseal cures.

3-4 counter sunk to fill the holes after the pro seal has set.

Last edited:
Backing plate, AN426AD3 rivets and proseal

No problems, no regrets. 274+ on the hobbs.

Rivets

Made little backing plates for each rivet about 3/8" square out of .020 alum then riveted on with DD non structural rivets. Has a thin layer of proseal too.

Don B

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Prosealed mine used tape to outline an eight inch around the vent as a line to pull off when pro seal set up. Did both sides at the same time and used a wood clamp to keep pressure on the vents while setting up

Has worked well
Smilin' Jack

Back