What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-146 Priming

AndyWW

Well Known Member
A couple of quick questions from someone just starting out. I want to prime VA-146 (bearing in HS) since I live in the UK where we are never far from the sea, and it's damp more often than we'd like. I searched a bit and didn't really find the answer to the following:
a) What's the best way to prepare the part for priming without risking removal of the grease from the bearing, and
b) I've read that one shouldn't get primer on the bearing, but what's the best way to avoid that, and precisely which area should get primer and which not?

ictoo3.jpg

Thanks for any help.

A couple of quick questions from someone just starting out. I want to prime VA-146 (bearing in HS) since I live in the UK where we are never far from the sea, and it's damp more often than we'd like. I searched a bit and didn't really find the answer to the following:
a) What's the best way to prepare the part for priming without risking removal of the grease from the bearing, and
b) I've read that one shouldn't get primer on the bearing, but what's the best way to avoid that, and precisely which area should get primer and which not?

ictoo3.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Put a piece of quality masking tape over the bearing on each side and rub it down well.
Use a razor blade or hobby knife to cut the tape around the outer perimeter of the bearing, leaving only the bearing covered.

Thanks Scott. Just to be clear, when you say cover the bearing, do you mean the inner 3 of the 4 cylinders? Wouldn't the innermost one also be liable to corrosion?

Priming

I primed mine just like Scott mentioned. Cut the tape so it covers the steel bearing and race but exposing the aluminum.

Thanks Scott. Just to be clear, when you say cover the bearing, do you mean the inner 3 of the 4 cylinders? Wouldn't the innermost one also be liable to corrosion?

I actually mean the entire bearing. I suppose the bearing is still at risk to rust, but if you get any primer on the bearing it self, and it migrates inside, you have a much bigger problem than just a little bit of surface rust.

Andy
Find a socket in your tool box that is the size of the bearing. Put that over the bearing and spray away. If your concerned with the socket, wrap it with painters tape. Enjoy.

Scuff it with vinegar, tos it in a zip loc with 1/4 oz of alodine. Remove t minutes later and place on a heater to dry. Nice and gold, no primer.

Back