What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-695 gussets

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
This is how my raw 695 gusset fits between the longeron and firewall. Should it be trimmed to fit precisely? Both left and right fit the same.

I don't recall having to trim those. Here is a shot of the layout of rivets on mine. Word of caution here. Make sure the holes on the gusset don't line up with the end of the underlying steel brackets. Make sure you have the edge distances OK for each hole you mark before you drill them.

IMG_0743-M.jpg

Were they pre-bent? Nice!

I think I trimmed the forward edge of the gusset to fit nicely on the firewall stiffener.

Yes, they were pre-bent, but the forward (firewall) edge will need to be trimmed to fit flush with the firewall. This angle is established by the firewall bracket, so I know it's correct.

Yes they should be trimmed to fit

Had to trim them to fit on my 7A. And they had to be slightly bent to make them sit flush.

Tom
You'll have to trim the front of the gussets. Like Bruce said above, pay particular attention to the edge clearance on the steel below the longeron. I had to make sure they were tucked in really tight inside the angle. If I recall correctly, I radiused the steel edges slightly to match the contour of the inside radius of the longeron.

11.JPG

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. I trimmed the forward end of the gusset and made it fit nicely. Thanks for the warning on the edge distance that was a big help.

Back