What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

30 Most Important Airplanes Of All Time

That magazine is prestigious? Not in my book. And did you look at the list, with the sloppy writing and outright errors?

Good list

That magazine is prestigious? Not in my book. And did you look at the list, with the sloppy writing and outright errors?

Maybe, but I thought the list had pretty good and varied choices for a very subjective subject - the "Best Of ----" is always difficult. :)

Not sure I'd include the F-35. There are a few others I question but not in any major way.

While the pace is picking up I've felt Van has not received the recognition proportionate to what his accomplishments merit from the aviation world.

While most of his innovations and contributions could hardly be called radical their effect on the trajectory of the market has been nothing short of extraordinary.

All with simply great products that anyone can craft in their garage.

While I'd hardly characterize Popular Mechanics as the final word on this subject at least as far as Van's contribution I'd say he got it right even if, based on numbers, one could argue the RV-6 was the most important of the breed given the market niche it identified and quickly conquered paving the way for the rest of the RV-7,-9, -14 descendants. It's consider it the fore-bearer of the -10 as well.

Any such list that omits the AT-6/SNJ/Harvard misses the boat IMO as well given its contribution to making winning pilots for so many nations for so many decades.

Speaking of accuracy. The OP just mentions "prestigious list" and the source, never naming the magazine as prestigious.

And for what its worth, it is a pretty good list.

Any such list that omits the AT-6/SNJ/Harvard misses the boat IMO as well given its contribution to making winning pilots for so many nations for so many decades.

Having flown both,the Yak 52 and the T-6, the Yak is the better flying airplane and in all its varients has trained more pilots than the T-6. (Still, I would rather have the T-6 just because it is a T-6.)

Speaking of accuracy. The OP just mentions "prestigious list" and the source, never naming the magazine as prestigious.

And for what its worth, it is a pretty good list.

Thanks Arnie. Yup, I was referring to the list not the magazine. There are certainly others that should/could make a best-of list but the intent is that an RV was on the list. We've all got our favorites so it is hard to get a list everyone would agree with...but I'm sure we can all agree an RV should be on all best-of lists.

Back