What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer

Turbo911

I am at the point of not being able to go farther without start to put some rivets in. I plan on priming all parts with Stewart Systems EkoPoxy. If I prime all the parts individually before riveting (as I planned on). Then the nut plates go on after. Do I prime the nut plates individually ? Are the nut plates okay not being primed? Cannot seem to find anything in the manual. Seems the way they wrote it, the nut plates go on after prime and are left bare.

Just checking what the preferred method is .

Working on Empennage/Tail Kit.

Also, counter weights?? I would assume they get primed before assembly??

They call out priming the nutplates for the rudder and elevator hinge in my -8 plans.. I put a bunch of finishing nails on a board and prime the nutplates on the nails..

Priming nutplates

They call out priming the nutplates for the rudder and elevator hinge in my -8 plans.. I put a bunch of finishing nails on a board and prime the nutplates on the nails..

Same here. They are coated and theoretically do not need priming, but the wbole dissimilar metal thing makes my OCD act up.

Nut plates are fine left as is. Maybe saw two or three rusted in three decades and those where at least 50 years old at that point.

Back