What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav/com audio help KX-155 & Narco

powercat

Hi, I could use some help figuring out audio. I have a KX155 as a nav/com and a narco integrated nav both of which work good. I have not hooked up the nav audio from either of the units but would like to. I don’t have an audio panel and have no room or need for one. I understand I can just wire them into the headphones audio but Need to wire resistors in-line with each of the nav audio outputs. I’d like to control them with simply the ident functions on each of the radios. I’m using a portable intercom but have a sigtronics SPA-400 I could install if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance

This can be done, assuming that you currently don't have to turn the volume control all the way up. Put a resistor (about 220 ohms, 150 or 330 is probably okay, but make them all the same) in series with EACH audio line. That would be, for you, the com audio out, the nav 1, and the nav2 audio outputs. 3 resistors, each in series with the 3 lines. Tie the lines together at the headphone jack, control the signals with individual (nav, com) volume controls or an "ident" feature, if your nav radio has it. You'll have to turn the volumes up a bit more than before but that usually isn't an issue.
Edit: For a more deluxe solution, you can buy ($60) or build ($5) a "mixer" circuit using inexpensive integrated circuits and hide it behind the panel. But the 3 resistors should work okay for you.

Last edited:
Back