What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A Canopy closed microswitch question

Amazon-1

A couple weeks ago i recall a post about wiring for the canopy microswitch. The builder said he had to remove 13 rivets to install the wire. I am very bearly at that stage and i definitely don?t want to remove that many rivets for a simple wire pull.

I looked at the plans and pulling the wire to the switch is not mentioned as far as i could find. Have you run into this issue? Trying to avoid needless work here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Bruce

Most of us were able to work a wire through there without a problem. I fished a length of safety wire and used it to pull the wires for the switch. If you haven't fully assembled the canopy you may be able to put a pull wire in the channel before riveting the parts together.

The wire is installed in Section 61 - Canopy Harness.

Micr switch wire

I used sika flex to glue both the canopy and side skins on and filled the gap under the canopy edge so I could not pull any wires. I think you can lay up two wires under those side skins before you rivet them.
I ran my two wires on the inside edge of the canopy railing gluing it down after using pieces if shrink tubing to hold wires together. May not be as asthetic as wire pull but works.

N507PW
140507 almost ready for first flight

Pull the wires before riveting the skin on the sides, it makes the job a lot easier. Although you only need one, I ran two wires prior to riveting.

I spent a good bit of time swearing on this one, fishing the wire through. The instructions really should offer the opportunity to run the wire before the rivets are set. I didn't think about it early enough. It is possible to get 22Ga wire pair down that run after the rivets are set - if no sealant!

I had some very stiff, small steel wire for a fish, and once I had one wire I used it to pull through the second.

I wonder if you could get a needle to pass some fine fishing line through with a magnet - thought about that afterward.

I put safety wire in place before riveting and used it to pull the electrical wire through after riveting, per the plans, I believe. I did not want to risk damaging the electric wire during riveting. It pulled through after without a problem.

I was able to run the safety wire through, but was completely unable to fish the two electrical wires more than halfway. I wound up drilling out most (about 48) of the canopy side skin rivets to place the wires, then re-riveting the skin. Fortunately, I managed to do so without enlarging any of the holes or otherwise making a hash of it and the skin looks perfect now.

If I were to do it again, I'd place the wires prior to riveting the canopy side skin in the first place.

Took about ten minutes...

...to fish a piece of safety wire through and use it to pull the harness wires thru. Spent way more time thinking it was going to be hard than just doing it.

Optional Canopy Harness Kit

Vans has a Canopy Harness Kit. May be a good time to order and install while you are working on the Canopy.

Back