What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hurricane relief supplies

slngsht

Well Known Member
When Harvey hit south Texas last year, I vaguely remember an organized GA aircraft effort to fly in supplies - I assume to smaller fields.

Anyone remember that? Anything like that going on for Florence?

Operation Airdrop

What I believe you are thinking of is Operation Airdrop.
According to their Facebook page, they are gearing up operations in Raleigh.

You can contact them either on their Facebook page or at the emails below.
Ryan at Operation-airdrop.com
Trey at Operation-airdrop.com

There have been several such flights from our airport (8A7) in central NC, that delivered supplies to various Florence affected areas. From the PIREPS of those guys most airports down that way had fairly steady streams of GA aircraft doing the same. Great effort by some genuine guys and gals.

I participated in operation airdrop last week. Delivered supplies to Jacksonville and Elizabethtown. Great organization.

Last week we flew 400 pounds of supplies to Lumberton, NC in my friend’s Baron. The day before he did the same. The pick up and delivery of supplies at the end points was very well organized.

Last edited:
Hurricane Michael

I was glad to see Doug’s Front Page posting (10/18/2018) of an RV-4 pilot flying Hurricane Michael relief supplies into Florida with the Operation Airdrop group. I signed up as an Operation Airdrop pilot after Florence hit the Carolinas. I didn’t expect another hurricane until next spring and then Michael hit. A business trip this week prevented me from flying any charity flights this week. The Operation Airdrop folks are well organized and are doing a good job of communication on their FB page and via group emails.

I was not aware of the “Compassion” flight plan aircraft designation allowed by the FAA for these rescue flights.

I’m hoping more RV pilots will get involved in the Operation Airdrop missions before the next hurricane season.

Last edited:
Back