VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Default 400 HP RV-7

Hey guys. A quick question for y'all. I was at my father's house recently and I read an article in one of the magazines about a man who had converted a Corvette engine for his 7. But for the life of me, I can not find the issue, or even remember what magazine brand it was from. Anybody know off the top of their head the magazine (kit planes, custom planes, etc) or month it was published. Or if the company has a website. Thanks in advance, I am pulling my hair out searching his house for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Wierdness

All that I could find was a guyon e-bay selling a RV-10 with a 600h.p. 'vette engine. Seemed pretty sketchy.I get Kitplanes magazine and the EAA mags but I can't remember ever reading about RV-7's with Corvette motors.Good luck.

V.A.F #650
RV-7a,wings
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM

Default V8

There used to be a guy, I think he was in Arizona, selling a chevy v8 conversion package. I think he called himself "Predator Aviation." I don't think the package went beyond a prototype. I sent him a couple of emails and he was in the middle of moving, if I remember correctly, up to the NW U.S., possibly Idaho. He said he would contact me after getting settled but never did. His web site no longer has information about the v8 conversion.
N512TC
Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 PM

Default V8

I believe the gentleman who owned Predator Aviation died, thats why the RV-10 with the V8 was for sale. I believe he had an RV7 or 8 with a V8 in it featured in kits planes a few years ago. There were a couple of pictures of that plane shown with the RV10 ad on Ebay, try this link and you might be able to see it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8309&rd=1&rd=1

Good Luck
VAF #769
7A Empennage
N707A (reserved)

Last edited by Dave Stark : 03-14-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 AM

Thanks for the info guys. After more searching of the house I finally found the old magazine. Guess I didn't notice the date of Sept 2004 (CustomPlanes) the first time I read it. But looking on the web doesn't bring back much. It's a shame because it looked like the engine had a lot of promise. I'm not sure if there is an RV data base but the 7 he had that beast in was N577AZ. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Gary Bricker

I talked to a vender @ OSH or Sun n Fun and he was working with the same guy with the 7a and they were working on a 10. Must be what you are talking about. He never got the FWF put together for the 7 other than his own. I was going to Arz. and fly the 7 about the time he moved. Haven't heard about him until today.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM

Default RV7

It was Predator Aviation. They were formerly based in AZ and had a 7 with the engine. It was butt ugly, extremely heavy and down right scary.

I talked with the guy and when he made the statement that the 500+ pound engine package had no impact on the CG, I walked away. I also remember he had the gross weight at 2300 lbs!!

The airplane was later listed for sale and I don't know what happened to it.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N707EE-Building
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Its a small world

That is what is so great about the Web and sites like this, sharing info to help others avoid mistakes.

2020 Dues Paid
Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Default COOL!

I saw the RV7A with the Corvette several times at Glendale airport and Casa Grande.
It had air conditioning, and needed it because the plane was painted ALL BLACK.
Robert Ruggles
Surprise AZ
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 PM

found a link to the story written by Ron Kibler, in customs planes on the corvette engine and rv7A. go down to the story Solving the High Cost of Horsepower.

http://ronkilber.tripod.com/stories.htm

The story about his trip up to alaska in an air coupe make me want to start packing..let's see a nice coat, shotgun, food, tent.....$$$$$$$$$
-8 empennage finished
on hold for the wing order
http://rv8-n486ap.blogspot.com/