What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 390 Delays

Avoca1us

I ordered my engine back in July, with a mid November expected delivery. Got a call from Lycoming in October asking if I would delay delivery. I agreed to a 1 month delay. Called mid December and told to expect a mid January delivery. Called yesterday and told to expect delivery Feb 28. They say that they are having problems with their cylinder vendor. Plan accordingly.

Thanks, I was told 6 months on the Thunderbolt, a year ago it was 60 days. Sure delayed my completion date.

I too ordered Thunderbolt last spring and asked Jeff to push delivery until I was ready - it was right on time late August. Makes you wonder what kind of trouble with the cylinder vendor. I'm guessing volume has picked up (especially with IO-390 now being used in production aircraft).

Good info. I just ordered my engine and prop last Friday and was told 12 weeks by the girl at Van's. That should work out well, but I hope it doesn't go much longer than that.

Same boat. I ordered after Oshkosh and was told mid-December. I finally was able, with Van's help (thanks to the team at Van's!), to get an answer regarding the cylinder vendor and a current dock date of February 28. I specifically chose Lycoming because the other engine vendors would have had long lead times. Let's hope we all get our IO-390's in time to fly to Oshkosh 2019!

i was told the same by Vans yesterday, my engine is only 2 weeks late today but now estimate is Feb 30th, lets hope that doesn't slip anymore. I'm ready now to hang the engine and finish FWF!.:mad:

That could be a very long wait...

i was told the same by Vans yesterday, my engine is only 2 weeks late today but now estimate is Feb 30th, lets hope that doesn't slip anymore. I'm ready now to hang the engine and finish FWF!.:mad:

Feb 30? Hmmmm...

Being promised February the 30th wouldn't give me a lot of confidence....

Lycoming called me also a while back and I said they could delay until mid-January. Now I?m also told Feb 28th. Don?t have much confidence since seems everyone is being told the same thing.

Back