What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BasicMed unavailable, doc never heard of it

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Let's skip the backstory, but when I called my family doc, she had never heard of BasicMed and the nurse protected her from hearing from me that she was qualified.

So this morning, I got a for real second class, unrestricted (20:20 at age 71, I'll take it!). The AME had heard of BasicMed, asked if it was for both 2nd and 3rd class, but didn't know what the privileges were. Hmm. I 'splained it all to him, but I'd already paid (in advance) for the 2nd class, so I went with that.

I called AOPA, and apparently my story is common. Lots of docs don't know what BasicMed is or what to do about it. There is a link on the AOPA web site, I'm told, of an explanation that you can print off and give to your doc. (I'll keep that in mind for next time). I suggested that it would be cool if AOPA undertook a program to spread the word on BasicMed rather than individuals doing it one at a time. Of course, it's always easy to tell somebody else what would be good for them to do.

I've found that some "Doc in a box" places will do BasicMed. It's another option if your regular doc has heartburn.

There is a link on the AOPA web site, I'm told, of an explanation that you can print off and give to your doc.

I had the same issue 3 years ago, gave the MD the stuff I printed, and he was fine with it. Later, after the whole thing was done, the medical group my doc was with put a stop on it. They said FAA exams were not allowed.

I explained this was not an FAA exam, it just conformed to FAA rules.

Nope, they still will not allow their members to do Basic Med.

+1 my primary doc was not interested at all. I'm assuming the concern is liability. He did give me the name of another doc that he thought did them so I'm not completely out of luck.

Find a place that does commercial driver license physicals. I was able to do so and was in and out in about 20 mins.

Some of this has to do with how you position it with the doctor. If you ask them to complete a physical for you that is more likely to get a positive response than bringing up a term they may not have heard of. Docs fill out various physical forms all the time.

As I've said before, being sued for making a statement about a patient's physical exam findings and confirming the lack of a specific set of conditions (spelled out very well in BasicMed documentation) is extraordinarily rare and shouldn't be a concern for any doctor who understand what's being asked of them.

Fundamentally BasicMed asks the doctor to do two things: record physical findings on a form, and certify than certain conditions are not currently present and no history of them is known to the doctor. Very simple, basic stuff that doctors do every single day routinely.

My PCP had not heard about Basic Med also but was open to learn about it. I forwarded him the links to learn about it and scheduled an exam with him. No problem and he commented it was a lot like doing a CDL exam.

Find a place that does commercial driver license physicals. I was able to do so and was in and out in about 20 mins.

Don’t say Basic Med. just tell them it is a commercial license. They know that and it is the truth. Exam is very similar. My GP said just like a GI physical which appears he had done many.

When I took on a new PC I asked and got the same runaround from office staff, was told "we don't do occupational exams." So at my first appointment I explained it to him and said "I need a PC who will do this." Perhaps the implication that I would go looking elsewhere for a PC had an effect, and as someone taking on new patients perhaps he cared whether he lost a customer or not. I also dropped the name of a colleague of his who's a pilot. Anyway he agreed to do it so I guess I got lucky there.

I asked my PCP about it - not because I wanted it, but because I was trying to feel them out for a good friend of mine that likely won't pass a 3rd and was looking for BasicMed (I have a valid 3rd and am in good health). Not only did they say no, but two weeks later I got a certified letter in the mail from my PCP saying that they would no longer provide medical services for me, but would forward my medical records to another doctor upon request.

There are obviously liability concerns among some doctors.

Last edited:
Most doctors have never heard of Basic Med...how would they? Unless they’re a pilot, it would never hit their reading list. The ones that do know about it are either pilots, or they were clued in by one of their patients. The desire to participate in such a program depends on many things, but I can tell you that the vast majority have no need nor any desire to even take the time to look into what’s involved. What they DO have is a strong desire to NOT be involved in ANY government program that is not absolutely required for them to practice. That desire is strong enough that they don’t even care to look into the simple rules and low liability that go along with it. The vast majority are too busy to involve themselves in a program that has very low demand and isn’t required, just as many primary care doctors won’t do DOT or Worker’s Comp physicals. Additionally, if the doctor is employed, their employer may prohibit them from doing such exams, usually on the basis of liability and perceived low need.

I’m a physician and have physician friends that are pilots. For those that are on Basic Med...it’s pretty simple to get that Basic Med exam taken care of...we kind of help each other out on that... I’m a surgeon and my pilot-buddies are either surgeons or anesthesiologist, or other doctors for who any kind of physical exam is not a part of their practice, so the general public doesn’t have access to us for that purpose. Around here (within a 100 mile radius), there are two AME’s but I don’t know of any physician for whom Basic Med exams are part of their practice. Just not enough of a demand, and no incentive to even investigate.

Last edited:
As I've said before, being sued for making a statement about a patient's physical exam findings and confirming the lack of a specific set of conditions (spelled out very well in BasicMed documentation) is extraordinarily rare and shouldn't be a concern for any doctor who understand what's being asked of them.

Fear of being sued is a relatively small part of a physican’s reluctance. Most of it is the fear of the usual morass of paperwork associated with any government-sponsored program and especially the fear of violating some government rule relative to the program that could put you in some Federal jackpot. Whether the fear is valid is beside the point....those governments audits are painful enough that is amazing that ANY physician is willing to put themselves in that line of fire for a low-demand program, no matter how unlikely.

Fear of being sued is a relatively small part of a physican’s reluctance. Most of it is the fear of the usual morass of paperwork associated with any government-sponsored program and especially the fear of violating some government rule relative to the program that could put you in some Federal jackpot. Whether the fear is valid is beside the point....those governments audits are painful enough that is amazing that ANY physician is willing to put themselves in that line of fire for a low-demand program, no matter how unlikely.

Well since I'm a doctor I guess my own experience is different. I recently have worked in an urgent care center and a big part of the practice was doing various types of physicals (including DOT and similar), no one thought much of filling out forms and completing the kind of paperwork required for BasicMed. I did one basic med exam for a pilot friend and the paperwork was pretty much similar to many other kinds of forms we did on a daily basis. Filling out a physical form is pretty routine for many practices and isn't seen by most of those as putting oneself in the line of fire. The paperwork to get paid by an insurance company is draconian by comparison. Someone who walks in ready to pay cash in return for filling out a form and doing a standard exam will be taken care of routinely in many practices.

The challenge in using an urgent care center for this kind of need is finding one with a physician on duty since Basic Med requires a doc's signoff.

Last edited:
The paperwork is simpler than FMLA or Worker’s Comp, and certainly simpler than most employers’ return-to-work forms.

BasicMed

I have a VA doctor. I get a physical once per year. The first year I gave her the check list and she was hesitant to fill it out. She ask me to return in a couple days and she would look at it. She must have consulted with her colleagues because she filled it out but left the anus box blank.

She is a small Asian doctor so I am much stronger than she is. During the physical exam, she always sits on my knee and I raise my legs while she tests the strength in my legs.

The BasicMed is to be done every four years with a doctor but I have decided to do it every two years thinking that if she moves on, it will give me more time to find another doctor. When I want her to fill it out, I take in the one she filled out the last time and she looks at it and fills out the new one always leaving the anus block blank. This time she ask me what your anus has to do with flying an airplane. You got to love those female doctors. LOL

My PCP thought that Basic Med was the "bees knees" and was even excited to learn about the plane I was building. He said the process was very similar to the DOT exams he does. I live in a small town of only 5000 peeps and he said I wasn't the first one he has done this for.

Point is, keep looking and you will find someone. Once the RV is flying it would be no big deal to travel for an exam. :D Also, look for Docs that do DOT exams and your chances are probably better.

Basic Med

If you read the wording that the physician has to sign on the form, it may make a little more sense. A flight review and annual inspection certify the conditions that existed on the day of the evaluation. This reads differently and is why the health care organization that I worked at a couple of years ago prohibited us signing them.

In accordance with section 2307(b)(2)(C)(iv), of the FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-190), I certify
that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking
that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the
items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the
individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft.

There are interpretations (not necessarily mine) that the last sentence is too open ended time-wise and that it is saying that it the person, even with the condition as presently treated, could progress to a state that wouldn't be safe before the end of the certification. Since this is done outside of the FAA medical division, they have publicly said that they will not defend or support the defense of any physician completing this form like they will an AME who is properly performing a FAA medical exam.

Not trying to convince anyone but trying to explain the reluctance that an airman looking for a Basic Med might encounter. I am not saying that it is right and I am not representing anyone but to explain my previous employer's policy.

John

I have a VA doctor. I get a physical once per year. The first year I gave her the check list and she was hesitant to fill it out. She ask me to return in a couple days and she would look at it. She must have consulted with her colleagues because she filled it out but left the anus box blank.

She is a small Asian doctor so I am much stronger than she is. During the physical exam, she always sits on my knee and I raise my legs while she tests the strength in my legs.

The BasicMed is to be done every four years with a doctor but I have decided to do it every two years thinking that if she moves on, it will give me more time to find another doctor. When I want her to fill it out, I take in the one she filled out the last time and she looks at it and fills out the new one always leaving the anus block blank. This time she ask me what your anus has to do with flying an airplane. You got to love those female doctors. LOL

Funny about the "anus" part. Most people have them - not hard to verify. Guess she didn't want to do a formal "rectal" exam but that's different - to me the BasicMed form is asking you to confirm external exam only.

I was the first one to get one from my PCP when it first came out. She just asked for the link to read up about it, and a few days later, the office called and said the paperwork was all ready. I had a follow-up visit about 6 months later, and lo and behold, there was a sign at the check-in desk with the add-ons for CDL, DOT, FAA, HS sports, etc., paperwork. I think they were all about $10.

And this is a doc within a MAJOR healthcare chain. So if your doc won't do them, frankly, I'd be looking at getting another doc :).

According to an April 30, 2020 article by AOPA, on the third anniversary of BasicMed, there are 56,000 pilots taking advantage of the program. So, it can't be that hard to find a doc to do it.

I never expected that my PCP would do it. When asked, she declined. I asked local pilots if they had BasicMed and if so, who did they go to. Got a couple of recommendations. Next time I'm due, I'll ask again, might be a different list after four years. I think local knowledge is how you find someone, and I'm more than willing to travel an hour or so to get it done, if that's what it takes.

Have also heard what others have said upthread that Urgent Care facilities, who have a Physician in house (may vary day to day) and who do CDL and DOT exams are places to call and ask.

Most AMEs won’t sign a Basic Med form.

I was the first Basic Med that my AME did - he didn't even flinch, just said sure. Then he retired - we just found a new PCP last week. I asked if she would do Basic Med and gave her a copy of my last one. She said that they do CDL exams all the time, and didn't see that this would be any different, so yes, she will do it two years when it comes up again.

Not only that...

Most AMEs won’t sign a Basic Med form.

In fact, a guy in my doc's practice who happened to be an AME (and who did a previous Class 3 for me) tried to talk my regular Doc out of doing my BasicMed, citing purported liability concerns. Luckily my Doc paid no attention to that advice. If he ever does decline to do it.... I guess I'm going to get a new Doc.

Back