What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel sender trouble

Megs4sale

Well Known Member
Almost done....but...When doing Dynon fuel tank calibration for left the voltage “stuck” at 2.19 volts or about 8 gallons. Went to 18 gals in 2 gal intervals and moving wing up down and side to side to hopefully dislodge it but no luck. Tested prior to wing install multiple times and got full range of movement prior to sealing up. Anyone encounter this? Also have a leak from the sender. Guess may have to pull it. Anyone replaced theirs with the wing on? Thanks.

Hi you will probably find the sender has reached the top of the tank. When I did the procedure for my RV6 the problem occurred at about 50 litres and it due to the dihedral and the sender being at the low end. The Skyview reports 41+ litres when I fill the tank.
Steve

Rather than wing rocking try aggressively slapping the wing above/below the rib, or the rib itself, with an open hand. Usually engine vibration is sufficient to prevent sticking. OTOH, since you have a leak, may as well remove it. No, you don’t have to pull the wing.

I removed the drain and scoped it. Nothing obstructing movement. Will test it tomorrow moving it thru its range. Didn’t have the official piano hinge test wire at the hangar. Hoping it’s just in need of moving thru full range to get back on track. Will test ohms and voltage. If that works will slathering proseal externally where the leak was hold up? Otherwise will remove it and replace the sender with new. Thanks for help!

Exact same issue in my left tank when I fueled for the first time last week. Extremely hard rocking with about the 10 gallons in the tank finally got it moving correctly. I drained and refilled the tank twice to confirm it was operating. Both of my tanks maxed out at 22 gallons indicated before the float ran out of travel.

Back