What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX-45R ADS-B to GRT HX

Raymo

Well Known Member
Anyone know if it is possible to display WX/traffic from a GTX-45R on the GRT EFIS? Serial connections from the 45R only offer 4 types of communication.

Anyone know if it is possible to display WX/traffic from a GTX-45R on the GRT EFIS? Serial connections from the 45R only offer 4 types of communication.

I don’t know for certain, but the answer is probably ‘no’. Garmin keeps some serial protocols as a company secret, making it hard to use on competitors’ efis units. Ask Jeff at GRT via their forum or email to get the real answer. I use a ($500, factory refurbished) SkyRadar D2 for adsb-in to my HX, works great.

Okay, I looked up the GTX45R. Bottom line, you bought the wrong box to work with your GRT EFIS. A Trig TT22 plus a compatible adsb-in box (like the SkyRadar) will get you a mode-SES transponder (ES is the adsb-out part) and adsb-in, all of which can be displayed on the grt efis.The TT22 can be remote mounted and controlled by the grt efis. Both the 22 and the 45 require a gps position source. Both can work with a Garmin navigator (400w, 650, etc). The Trig will also accept data from grt’s $500 gps source.
PS. The Trig plus SkyRadar is cheaper, too.

Thanks, Bob. He went with the 45R so he'd have control of it though the GTN-750xi, which shows wx and traffic. Looks like that will have to suffice since he doesn't want to spend $800 on the SkyRadar. I have an email to GRT support to see if there are any options from the 750 to the HX.

Jeff will tell you, but again I think the answer is no, same issue with proprietary software. Showing the data on a 750 is probably okay. The 650 is inferior in size to the grt efis, but the 750’s size works well. If you can hook it up, I personally like having audio traffic alerts (I know the grt efis would generate them if it was hooked up - I think the 750 generates them too but not positive).

Back