What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GDU 460 config module socket crimping

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am curious if the same crimping tool that I use for the normal sockets in the GDU 460 connector will work for the special sockets that are included with the configuration module. I don't want to experiment since I don't have any extra parts to work with. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Yes, if you have for example, Stein's four point crimper:

https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

If you don't have it, the same tool is available on Amazon. I use it on all my Garmin pins. In fact, did a config module just recently - didn't want to, but after a number of years, my GDU460 failed to see the module, and had to replace it and did the module at the same time JIC.

I am curious if the same crimping tool that I use for the normal sockets in the GDU 460 connector will work for the special sockets that are included with the configuration module. I don't want to experiment since I don't have any extra parts to work with. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Page 1-6 of the Rev. AM G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual explains that the contacts in the 011-00979-22 configuration module kit used with the GDU 4XX can be crimped with the K-13 positioner set to position 6 on the AFM8 crimper.

You will notice that the K13-1 positioner indicates that setting 6 is for 22 AWG wire, but this is ok since the special 336-00022-01 contacts provided with the configuration module kit have thicker-than-normal walls which allow them to be crimped onto 28 AWG wires with the position 6 selection. It is important that you only use the 336-00022-01 contacts supplied with the configuration module kit.

K13-1 Crimp Settings.png

ACtC-3cLi1Oy0i1iqACCvTdPztYljuN21MrMGFmOlCILee2NLLgkQkAVAKzEDtZi6UsBeRB4XfK89zXaDaKMbg29j4e-dgFchgnKf0zgJQsy9AlGHa2oMTPsJyrTrmSSkNgJByOQM1ZzuzojopvM4BeJrFKk=w640

The lower cost crimp tools should also work for this, since they are presumably designed to crimp 22 AWG wires in normal wall thickness size 20 sockets/pins.

Steve

Thanks. I have the AFM8 and a variety of positioners so I am in business. I forgot about the chart on page 1-6. I was looking in section 25.

Back