What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 N430WB First Flight!

wjb

Well Known Member
After 8.5 years of slow building, 2311 hours in the builders log, RV7 N430WB finally broke the surly bonds today for a successful first flight from KHAF Half Moon Bay, CA. Engine ran well; CHT's a little hot prior to break in but totally manageable. The pitot ASI died on takeoff, but I was able to fly with the GPS GS reading on Garmin. Slightly heavy right wing, but very easy to trim out.

Overall, it was a non-event! I went up with Brian Branscomb under AC 90-116, a hangar neighbor, ATP, CFI, A&P and lifelong home builder with ~10 first flights in his logbook to help keep eyes on things; he said he was a little bored -- a perfect low drama flight.

I even managed a totally respectable 3 point landing; of course it was early morning at the field and there was no one to see it.

Post flight de-cowling showed no leaks or any other issues.

Finally happy to be flying!

Let's go play!

IMG_0596_heic-L.jpg

In the air, surprisingly, I'm not freaking out very much :D. The plane flew just like the 7 I flew with Mike Seager in Oregon. Handling was smooth and precise. Fun plane to fly!

IMG_8095_heic-L.jpg

Cockpit shot; Garmin G3X was working well. ASI is dead -- gotta now pull lots of screws to see where it got disconnected (I'm betting the wing root connection)

IMG_8109_heic-L.jpg

Good morning San Francisco!! Don't mind us, we're just FLYING HERE!

IMG_8205_heic-L.jpg

KHAF looking north from 3500 .. no SF fog! (and no howler of a crosswind that kept us grounded yesterday)

IMG_8226_heic-L.jpg

Half Moon Bay town looking south

IMG_8188_heic-L.jpg

On the ground; activate "the grin"

IMG_8274_heic-L.jpg

In the Foreflight permanent record. 1.3 on the Hobbs.

2020061711072448--2050609460697093099-IMG_0822-L.jpg

Thanks to all of YOU who helped in innumerable ways over the past 8.5 years to get this plane in the air.

Congratulations!!!

Beautiful pictures and wonderful news!

Many congrats and a low-hassle Phase 1 to you!!!!

v/r,dr

Congratulations! Well done. No drama is the way it?s supposed to go.
Now fly, test, and check, check, check. Keep the power up!
Peter

Are you based at KHAF? What's a good place to stay for a fly-in weekend?

Hi Dave, yup I'm based at KHAF

The Oceano Hotel is an easy walk from the south ramp, and in the middle of the shops and restaurants at the harbor (https://oceanohalfmoonbay.com). The Seal Cove Inn (https://www.sealcoveinn.com) is nice, off the departure end of 30, but no easy way to get there from the airport by foot (not too many Ubers out here). The Beach House (https://www.beach-house.com/half-moon-bay/) is a little further south from Oceano, also very nice and on the harbor. Lots of neat stuff to explore in the area.

We have "June Gloom" all summer (SF fog/marine layer), on and off, up here so be prepared for that. If IFR capable, it's an easy approach.

Last edited:
MOTIVATION FUEL!

Great first flight Bill. Thank you for introducing me to RV building, encouraging me to start that empennage kit, and loaning me all your tools. I'm right behind you!

Who was your DAR and what did you get as your phase I area?

Richard Ortenheim at Skyview Aviation (http://www.skyviewaviation.com). He was easy to work with; did all the prep work over email prior to the inspection, and we easily set up a inspection date about 2 weeks prior to the visit.

I originally had a modest test area down to Salinas/Hollister. He encouraged me to consider a larger area given that we have pretty fast planes ("if you want to fly in circles, that up to you" .. he says). So, I have region roughly from Half Moon Bay, Paso Robles, Visalia, and Castle, and back, staying out of the populated areas in South Bay and SF Peninsula. Not insignificantly, Harris Ranch is in the middle of that region.

"I even managed a totally respectable 3 point landing; of course it was early morning at the field and there was no one to see it."

If you make a 3 point landing and no one is there to see it, then it didn't happen. ..I think that's the way the saying goes.

;-)

Congrats!!

Congratulations!!!

Time for a congratulatory Fish & Chips lunch at Barbara's Fish Trap and a couple of pints at Half Moon Bay Brewing Company!!

Well done Bill and congratulations. MY your beautiful RV take you place for many years to come.

Back