What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blyde River Canyon (3rd Largest Canyon in the world)

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
We had the pleasure to fly over the Blyde River Canyon in our RV10. We departed Zandspruit Bush and Aero which is a luxury aviation estate nestled in the wild bush close to renowned Kruger Park.

From Wikipedia:
The Blyde River Canyon is a 26km long located in South Africa. It is the third-largest canyon on Earth, behind the Grand Canyon and the Fish River Canyon. Unlike the Grand and Fish River Canyon, the Blyde River Canyon is a "green canyon" which is dominated by subtropical vegetation.

The Blyde River Canyon passes a rock formation known as the "Three Rondavels". So named as the formation resembles three African-style houses or rondavels. This canyon is part of the Panorama Route. This route starts at the town Graskop and includes God's Window, the Pinnacle and Bourke's Luck Potholes.

It was a beautiful day, blue skies no wind, enjoy the video and play it in high quality 1080p if you can.

https://youtu.be/Pjql4hW5wps

Last edited:
Canyon shots are great but I got to be impressed with a ramp area AND runway of brick pavers. Obviously no freezing temps or the surface would be lumpy bumpy after one winter.

Wow. How is it possible that I had not previously seen or heard of such a beautiful place? Thanks for sharing that.

Erich

Great spot! I was through Barberton/Krueger/Phalaborwa/Sand River and area in 2005 (on the ground) but didn't know about the canyon or would have made a side trip.

Cheers,
Greg

Back