What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter Question

pilot28906

Well Known Member
Need to change the oil soon and am wondering if there are other oil filter options for the Lycoming YIO-360-M1B besides the Champion CH48110-1 that came with the engine; or is it better to stay with what came on it?

Thanks for the info.

Need to change the oil soon and am wondering if there are other oil filter options for the Lycoming YIO-360-M1B besides the Champion CH48110-1 that came with the engine; or is it better to stay with what came on it?

Thanks for the info.

There's plenty of people that use K&N oil filters.

I use the NAPA Gold 1068 on all my airplanes. HUGE amount of discussion on this forum if you do a search.

Filter options

Rocket Bob recommended NAPA 1515 years ago. Wix makes filters for NAPA I am told. O,rielly sells the Wix labled 1515 also.

The Champion filter has a nut on the top to torque it to the correct value, a tab for safety wire, and an internal bypass in case of filter blockage.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen one where it would have backed off without safety wire (assuming it was torqued properly in the first place) and if the oil is so contaminated that the filter starts to bypass, you've probably got bigger problems anyway, but it's something to consider when making your decision...

K&N filters have the nut and safety wire tabs as well. And much less $ than Champion. Also smaller for tighter installations.

I have used Champion and Tempest oil filters on my RV aircraft.

Having cut both open, there is not much difference in the construction or quality but the Tempest is less money. I tend to use the lower cost product when I am unable to find any difference in the quality.

I have a horizontal Lyc Oil Filter Adapter that uses the 48110-. I red loctited an adapter so it now takes a 3/4"-16 thread female oil filter.

The oil filter adapter has an internal bypass, but can now take a K&N HP-2004, the shorter 3/4"x16 threaded filter, a Napa 1068 or a Wix 51068. The longer filters have much more media but are a bit long at 5 plus inches, for my fit. The longers are Wix 51515, Napa 1515 or K&N HP-3001.

That said, K&N is now South Korean owned and no longer made in the USA. Can wall is thinner and there was a rash of leaks at the welded nuts of those made in Mexico or Korea.

I have a Wix 51068 ready for next time. Easy to add a worm drive clamp with safety wire, if desired. All have a bypass at 8-11 PSID if you don't have a bypass in your oil filter adapter and usually use a 48108- filter.

Throw darts if I goofed any info.

If you are worried about safety wire on the filter you could put a large hose clamp on the filter and the put a loop of safety wire around the screw portion with the wire going through the slot in the worm screw and then safety both to the engine.
although IO don't really think it is necessary.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Tempest over champion

I also prefer the tempest over the champion. The new tempest also have a prelubed rubber seal, and a built in magnet!. I feel it's a better product that's also less expensive.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will try the Tempest P/N AA48110-2 as it is less expensive than the Champion.

Thanks again.

I switched from Tempest back to Champion, I think their filtration is better and I had a defective Tempest once (new) that could have been a real problem if I didn't catch it before I installed it.

Reference Malons comment re: safety wire

The hose clamp / safety wire option on NAPA/WIX filters is a comforting, easy option. However, per Malons comment, if you oil the gasket and tighten as much as you can with bare hands, you cannot get it off. I had to buy a filter wrench to get them off.

Tighten 3/4 turn after contact. A band filter wrench will be needed to remove.
I never had a problem using engine oil on the O ring and removal.

I have used the K&N: PS-1002 the PS-2004 and the HP-2004. I actually prefer the PS-2004 using a hose clamp for safety.

The PS-1002 is a bit small while the HP or PS 2004 is similar in size to the Champion CH-148108. The HP series K&N does have a nut on top but costs nearly double the cost of the PS series. Burst strength favors the HP series by a small margin.

Last edited:
Back