What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remembering Jon Thocker

Jon Thocker

Two years ago today. Miss him.
Pretty sure there's a great flying community he's got going up there. :)

Suresh

I remember him every day. We never met in person. He sold me the engine for my RV7A. He bought a complete RV8 kit and didn't need it. I got a great deal. He was awesome to work with even though it was just phone calls.

I think about him every day I'm at the airport, and I'm there most days. He used to come by on his bicycle, "Well, how's it going". OK, take a look at this, what do you think? He was a good one. Why do I think about him every day, I don't know. Some people you just miss. The ultimate wingman.

https://youtu.be/9KB54hpCt3s

Last edited:
Thank you for that video reminder, Steve. It’s been two years and I know the sting hasn’t left any of us at HAO who have worked with him on so many projects, and saw him every day. I can honestly say, he is the reason I am still flying RV’s. I’m on my 5th one, and like so many others, I miss him deeply. But I know I will see him again some day.

Thanks for posting this, Steve. The last time I saw Jon was in Grand Ledge, MI. He and another RV-8 took off in formation ahead of me. Jon was an inspiration to all of us, and showed us who we are, and all that we can be.

I’m pretty sure that was me with Jon, and I remember it well. His mom lived in Grand Ledge, and my dad was in an assisted living home there as well. We had flown up to visit our parents. His sister and mom came out to the airport when we were leaving. We could have taken just one of our airplanes, but how much fun is that?

I think of him when I see my panel since he gave me a lot of guidance on how to set it up when I redid the entire panel. It started when I saw a picture of his cockpit with his pyro switch panel I wanted to use to fire colored wingtip smoke cartridges. I contacted him and we talked frequently over a couple months about this and about the entire panel rewiring project and what other features I should consider.

Even though I never met him he never hesitated to give me advice or direction on the panel upgrade. He always had time for me even though he didn’t know me. We talked a number of times and I will always remember his patience and positive attitude about everything. He kept saying, “Don’t worry Oly you can do this”. So I did and the panel turned out great thanks to Jon.

Last edited:
Tailwinds, my friend!

Steve, thanks for posting the video. It still hurts to know that Jon is no longer in the sky with us. I flew with Jon and Ken on Team Aerodynamix for a few years and again when Ken busted his elbow I was thrilled to be asked to fill in for him as Redline lead for the remainder of the 2017 season. Quite an honor for this old pilot! Jon always had a smile on his face and a willing hand to help others as much as possible. It's great to hear from so many people who's lives were touched by Jon and remember him today.

Truly Missed

I echo Steve Melton’s thoughts. My hangar was next to Steve’s hangar at KHAO and we would often see Jon ride by on his bike to another RV hangar and project. He would stop by or you could flag him down to ask a build question or have him check something on your build. He freely loaned out specialty tools and when he spotted something on your build he did not like, he told you so. Replace or remake the part and we did. He was our RV sensei.

There used to be a superb video of red plane and blue plane flying to Angels and Airwaves music.

It was on Vimeo but has disappeared.

It was a great video, does anyone have a re postable copy ?

Inspired me during build for sure.

Met Jon a couple of times at Sun n Fun and was there when the tornado went through !

Jon Thocker, rest in peace.

IMG_20140929_184252.jpg

We miss Jon every day at HAO. This pic appeared in a book that River Rats team member, Larry Wolf noticed and pictured on our website. He will never be forgotten.

45F2188C-0569-4BF1-958A-A97CD0E6B449.jpeg

Back