What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting Yaesu handheld Radio FTA750 as COM 2

design4p

Hi,

I am having difficulty connecting my Yaesu Hand Held Radio FTA750 to the Garmin Audio Panel GMA245 using a Jack/Jack cable via the instrument panel.

The COM 2 setup is not recognised by the G3X.

Please see the attachment for full details of the problem.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John

Attachments

• COM 2.pdf
    296.3 KB · Views: 201
Hi,

Sorry now corrected.

The document started as Word doc and the text box had slipped in construction process and conversion to pdf.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Regards John

Attachments

• COM 2.pdf
    296.3 KB · Views: 162
Hi,

I am having difficulty connecting my Yaesu Hand Held Radio FTA750 to the Garmin Audio Panel GMA245 using a Jack/Jack cable via the instrument panel.

The COM 2 setup is not recognised by the G3X.

Please see the attachment for full details of the problem.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John
Hello John,

As explained on page 35-147 of the Rev. AM G3X Touch installation manual "Network Radio LRU 1 and Network Radio LRU 2 settings support Garmin radio LRUs that are connected via the CAN bus, (GTR 20 and GTR 200) see Table 35-19.".

Since your handheld radio is neither a GTR 20/200 or connected to the CAN bus, you cannot configure it as Network Radio LRU 1 or Network Radio LRU 2 and control the radio from the GDU 4XX PFD/MFD.

Table 35-19 on page 35-148 shows the list of COM radios which can be connected to and controlled by a G3X Touch system using either the CAN bus or an RS-232 interface.

You may be able to connect your handheld to the GMA 245 audio panel and use it as your COM2 radio, but you cannot control this radio or display the standby/active frequencies on the top of the GDU 4XX as you are trying to do.

Steve

Hello,

Thank you for the replies - All understood.

However, I have COM 2 at the top of my G3X screen in red with a cross and I can't find a way of removing it. I have tried the Garmin Pilot Guide instructions but still no luck - COM 2 Data field is not selectable.

Can anyone assist with the removal of my COM 2 data field. I still want to use the COM 2 for my hand held radio connected to the Audio Panel GMA245 via a panel jack socket.

John

ie - DATA FIELDS
Refer to the Annunciations and Alerts Section for a list of available Data Bar Field
options.
Changing the information shown in the Data Bar fields:
1) Press the MENU Key twice.
2) Touch Setup > Data Bar > Data Fields.
3) Touch one of the Data Bar fields.
4) Touch a new data field from the list.

You just have me a good idea. I’ve been thinking of how to put a 2m mobile rig in my plane and if I disconnect the plug on the back of my second radio I can just build up an adapter to carry the power and Audio to a 2m set. The antenna for vhf isn’t perfect but likely close enough to match to in most practical situations. Gonna think about it some more.

Hello,

Thank you for the replies - All understood.

However, I have COM 2 at the top of my G3X screen in red with a cross and I can't find a way of removing it. I have tried the Garmin Pilot Guide instructions but still no luck - COM 2 Data field is not selectable.

Can anyone assist with the removal of my COM 2 data field. I still want to use the COM 2 for my hand held radio connected to the Audio Panel GMA245 via a panel jack socket.

John

ie - DATA FIELDS
Refer to the Annunciations and Alerts Section for a list of available Data Bar Field
options.
Changing the information shown in the Data Bar fields:
1) Press the MENU Key twice.
2) Touch Setup > Data Bar > Data Fields.
3) Touch one of the Data Bar fields.
4) Touch a new data field from the list.
Hello John,

Just go to the COM radio configuration page (on the PFD in configuration mode), and set the COM2 radio Connection field to None. See page 35-147 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual.

Steve

Back