What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad as G3X repeater

RhinoDrvr

Well Known Member
I’ve got a G3X Touch system in my RV-8, and would like to use an iPad as a display repeater for the aft cockpit passenger to use when they are flying. I have found how to use ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot to display synthetic vision and GPS derived info, but nothing on how to simply repeat the PFD information that is derived from Air Data.

Is there a way to displays actual airspeed and altitude vice GPS groundspeed and GPS altitude via iPad to the rear seat?

You can use Garmin pilot - it will pull info from the G3X flight plan and show it on the map.

Re-reading my original post, I see it wasn’t clear. I’m looking for something that will serve as a repeater of the PFD with primary flight instruments. Airspeed, Altitude, Attitude and Heading; not necessarily Nav, which is an easier solution. Thanks!

There is no way (that I know of) to send air data from G3X to an iPad. It has to be done through an app.

I tied all mine together recently when I upgraded to the GTN650xi by installing a flight stream 210 to send GPS data and flight planning, GPS derived altitude and speeds to the iPad via blue tooth. Synthetic vision is as close as you are going to get only with GPS data.

Adding a GDL52 soon for ADSB in as well as sat data.

Did you ever find a good solution for this?

I have a friend who was asking me this same question. Im a GRT guy and GRT has a way to do this but I’m unfamiliar with the Garmin products. How has this worked out for you?

Solving the backseat display problem was the genesis of the huVVer-AVI displays. (See https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=151119&highlight=Arduino&page=15)

Connecting a G3X or G5 takes three wires (+12V, Ground, serial data). Dynon SkyViews can also provide wireless connections.

Yes, nothing is cheaper than a tablet, but they are not sunlight readible and can overheat in flight. You also need reliable 5V power.

Better yet, combine a small tablet or phone for GPS Nav, and the huVVer units for flight and engine instruments. I went whole-hog and mounted eight units in my side-by-side (a six-pack plus two OnSpeed glare-shield displays). One of the units is also a tailBeaconX control head. I also have a RAM mount for a tablet or phone. With all of this, my copilot has ‘legacy’ type instruments and a GPS. Way overkill for the copilot!

I have one confirmed 'save' for a pilot that lost his PFD screen in flight and used the huVVer-AVI devices to complete his journey and land safely. Turns out the LCD EFIS screen failed, but it continued to stream data.

I’ve published the software as open source on www.huvver.tech . It also runs on the commercial/hobbyist grade M5Stack devices if you want to DIY.
Vern

Last edited:
Back