What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS Tachometer Source & Settings - Help Please!

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
I've finally managed to get my GRT remote EIS-66R installed. It took a long time for me to build up the courage to cut into my perfectly good wiring that I originally installed for the AF2500...

The AF2500 used a 3-wire Hall effect RPM sensor screwed into the body of the Slick magneto (NOT the P-lead). This worked just fine with the AF2500. On the first engine run today I had no tachometer data - stuck at zero.

This Hall effect transducer is wired with its + wire to 4.8V instrumentation power from the EIS, ground to EIS ground, and signal directly to the EIS Tach 1 input. I've set pulses-per-rev to 2 and sensitivity to High.

Has anybody else successfully used this Hall effect sensor with a GRT EIS? If so, how did you wire it and how did you program the EIS to accept this input?

As a follow-up (just in case I can't get the Hall effect transducer to work) I have a P-Mag installed and have its tach output wire run through the firewall and capped and stowed near the EIS-66R.

Has anybody used the P-Mag tach signal with a GRT EIS? If so, how did you wire it and how did you program the EIS to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

RE:GRT Tach setup

I have same tach sensor with the GRT EIS 4000. I initially tried using the 4.8V excitation but it didn’t work. Switched to the 12V excitation per GRT tech support recommendation and that worked for me.

P-Mag tach

The P-Mag to EIS 66 tach signal works. I will be at the hanger tomorrow and can send you particulars.

Cheers, Sean

PMAG Tach to EIS4000

I used the PMAG tach sensors to the EIS and wired it just as they said, and I believe set it to 2 pulses per revolution. Can't recall any specific details or issues - just followed the instructions in the pmag and eis manuals. Working fine.

Thanks for the great input, folks. I'll try moving tach excitation from 4.8v to 12v instrumentation power and see if that works... If not, it's over to the P-Mag tach signal!

Thank goodness I put all these connections on a terminal strip. It's awkward to get to, tucked up under the panel, but it at least makes it easier to make wiring changes this way.

It's time for an update...

Tried powering the AFS magneto Hall effect transducer from the EIS +12V instrumentation power - no go.

Having exhausted my patience, I simply plugged the P-Mag tach wire into Pin 12 of the EIS, it's Tach 1 input, and things came immediately to life.

Now all I need is a replacement carb temp sensor from GRT and I'll have the installation complete. For now it's good enough to go flying. Looks pretty good having three GRT screens up and running, Mini-X on the left, HX directly in front of me and Sport EX in front of the co-pilot.

Back