What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who / How is LSA Determined?

jrock836

Well Known Member
Let's say a person wants to buy an EAB aircraft. Let's also say the owner says it's LSA compliant. How is it determined if it really is "LSA compliant"? I know the LSA requirements, but specifically how is it legally determined if it was built or later modified in a way that puts it inside or outside the LSA speed and/or weight requirements?

Thanks! Joe - -

Last edited:
Let's say a person wants to buy an EAB aircraft. Let's also say the owner says it's LSA compliant. How is it determined if it really is "LSA compliant"? I know the LSA requirements, but specifically how is it legally determined if it was built in a way that puts it inside or outside the LSA speed requirements?
Thanks! Joe - -

If challenged, it is up to the owner/operator to prove compliance.
The method of proof would be whatever it takes to convince the challenger.

The challenger would likely be the FAA and/or the insurance company is case of an incident. Normally, I think the requirements would not be questioned unless it were a gross/obvious infraction.

If challenged, it is up to the owner/operator to prove compliance.
The method of proof would be whatever it takes to convince the challenger.

The challenger would likely be the FAA and/or the insurance company is case of an incident. Normally, I think the requirements would not be questioned unless it were a gross/obvious infraction.

Thanks Mel.. I'm probably over thinking it... I just have rotten luck.. Many years ago I bought a Ford Explorer from a private dealer and then later discovered there was some title fraud involved with my vehicle.. I think he went to jail, but I was stuck with a vehicle that wasn't able to be titled..

As a guy that can no longer likely obtain a 3rd class medical, I would hate to buy an EAB and later find out that I own an aircraft that was modified prior to my purchase and is no longer LSA compliant.. Stranger things have happened... lol....

As a guy that can no longer likely obtain a 3rd class medical, I would hate to buy an EAB and later find out that I own an aircraft that was modified prior to my purchase and is no longer LSA compliant.. Stranger things have happened... lol....

You probably know this already, but just in case: Maybe Basic Med is another option? Can be PIC of almost any EAB aircraft.

Back