What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted, Whirlwind GA200L PIREP

Pilotjkl

Friend
I’m considering upgrading my RV-6 160hp from the Sensenich metal prop to the Whirlwind GA200L, looking for PIREP’s.
Thanks
John

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Hello Hunter! Glad you found this thread. Please report back to us
Unfortunately I didn't get the consistency I needed in my flight test to have a good objective comparison (very different conditions between the two days). From just 'knowing my airplane' I'd say I'm getting around 1 gph more efficient fuel burn at my typical cruise speed or 10 knts faster at my typical fuel burn.

I used to cruise 140 knts at 7.5 gph with the 70CM Sensenich, now I've noticed 140 knts at 6.3-6.8 gph or 150 knts at 7.6-8.0 gph. Since changing the pitch I haven't noticed a huge difference in climb between the two and I won't try to speculate unless I get some good data.

I'll keep you updated if I get some more concrete data (ideally I want to collect all the data at full throttle full rich so there's no inconsistency with my leaning--but I already know I can't do that without exceeding 2600 rpm on the Sensenich). I may also see how the GA200L-70" performs.

Back