What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum gear legs

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
I wonder if anybody makes taller RV-8 gear legs. I know about Sky Designs, and Grove, but it seems that the stock length doesn’t allow for a full stall in 3 point attitude. With the addition of the Doug Bell tailwheel, it’s even less AOA in 3 point. I know that the RV typically likes a tail low wheel landing (in my opinion) AKA the 2 1/2 point landing, but I was just curious if any -8 drivers wish the mains were a little bit taller.

The original RV-4 style were fine, until they came up with the “Taller” gear option, now it seems that the longer style is more desired.. I thought it would be pretty East for Sky Designs to make a longer set of legs and would allow for a slower landing if desired, yet still allow for normal wheel landings..

Tom, the owner of Sky Designs also had a major role in designing the RV-8, so he is aware of the strength margins in the gear tower structures. Those margins are not large, and longer legs would stress them more.

Tom, the owner of Sky Designs also had a major role in designing the RV-8, so he is aware of the strength margins in the gear tower structures. Those margins are not large, and longer legs would stress them more.

Good point.. I forgot about the change in lever arm that would cause.. thank you!

Back