What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Build

Turbo911

I ordered the empennage/tail kit for the RV-14a. Builder 140795. Now comes all the questions. I did order the AeroLED LN210. I see that they recommend ordering the electric elevator trim with the tail kit. I did not. Not sure what I need to order. Are there more than one options on the lighting kits?

Is the firewall forward kit part of the finish kit or is it a separate kit?

I am attempting to put a budget together. This is excluding freight/crating charges.

Tail kit - $4,525
Lights - $350
Electric Trim - Included

Wing Kit - $8,210
Lights - $800
Electric Flaps - Included

Fuselage Kit - $13,400
Electric Aileron Trim - Included

Finishing Kit - $13,400
FF Kit - $7265

Engine - XIO-390 - $34,500
Hartzell Model C2YR-1BFP/F74972 - $8,450
Spinner - (not needed)

Avionics Garmin IFR - $38,546 (Quote from Stein 1 G3X 10")

Interior - $6,500 (nice interior)

Paint - $12,500 (guess at this point)

Tools - $4,000 (Van's suggested number)

Misc - $2,500 (Van's suggested number)

Total - $152,076

I am hopeful to complete for $125k to $140k

More realistic $165,000

Am I close, Am I missing something?

Thanks

Last edited:
Congrats! I would suggest getting an electronic copy of the plans (USB Stick) from Van's. They are a pdf format and searchable. Sec 04 includes every part and identifies what kit they come in.
Electric flaps and elevator trim are not options. They are standard and come with the appropriate kits. The FWF kit is a separate kit than the finish kit.
The standard Hartzell prop is $8450 with a $1000 discount on a combined prop/engine order.

Most kit pricing can be found here https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/ and options in Van's online store.

You will likely get to about $6000 in tools.
Paint & Avionics can vary a fair bit depending what your looking for but your estimates are likely doable.
Are you planning for an interior?

Add the FF kit cost; CS Hartzell composite

The FF kit is not part of the finish kit.

I considered the Hartzell CS composite prop and settled for the CS metal; it is a gorgeous piece of work and I had the "I Wannas" for one in a bad way - even given the more than doubling in price, plus the $1500 spinner. Saved some bucks.

A Hartzell engineer that focuses on how the prop/engine combination works together told me that the lighter composite prop resulted in causing some of the engine's internal parts being affected negatively by the lower weight composite - causing some failures in those parts (he had lots more explanation but I don't recall all of it).

Right after talking to that engineer at SnF in 2017 I ran into Shawn Tucker and asked him for his opinion, he uses that prop; he straight out asked me if I was going to be performing in aerobatic competitions regularly. The answer to that is - NO. He said to go with the metal prop, that the composite is great for going straight up if that is what I need. He disassembles his competition plane and engine annually to inspect everything, including the prop. I figured that his opinion was valuable.

I think Glenn was spot on.

My opinion is that 140k may be a bit on the optimistic side, but it probably could be done. However, based on your estimates, I'd say there are a couple areas that may impact your final numbers:

Avionics: Really depends on what you want. You can certainly make 35k (or less) work, but it doesn't take long for that number to get out of hand

Misc: You're probably going to want some options along the way, freight, errors, and possible upgrades. I budgeted 7k and I passed that a long time ago. It's just hard to say what your going to want/need during the process. Also, sometimes you see or find a tool that you just must have.

Also, seeing the great stuff that comes out of TS Flightlines, Van's options (UV Canopy), steps, pitot/static upgrades, etc. can make the misc. dollars add up quickly.

Interior: Yep, probably going to need something to sit on...but I suppose that could be homemade as well.

One thing is for sure, if you enjoy working with your hands and creating "stuff", it's a great way to spend your time!

A couple of other things for the list

This is just a list of things you may want to add to the project. As you plan out your systems you will make dozens of design and equipment decisions. I?m just mentioning a few that I recall costing a couple of hundred bucks or more:
Interior - $3-5K. Includes things like carpet, dash pad, possibly side panels
Ignition system - PMag, electronic
Backup alternator, battery
Control sticks, grips
Cowl fasteners if you don?t to the hinge pins
Pre-made brake lines, fuel lines
Interior primer (if you so choose)
Comm/nav antennas

There?s plenty of fun little goodies like fuel drain and vent fairings, quick drain oil plugs, canopy latch replacement, air vents.

A lot can depend on how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are and how much access you have to OPT. (Other peoples tools)

Congrats! I would suggest getting an electronic copy of the plans (USB Stick) from Van's. They are a pdf format and searchable. Sec 04 includes every part and identifies what kit they come in.
Electric flaps and elevator trim are not options. They are standard and come with the appropriate kits. The FWF kit is a separate kit than the finish kit.
The standard Hartzell prop is $8450 with a $1000 discount on a combined prop/engine order.

Most kit pricing can be found here https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/ and options in Van's online store.

You will likely get to about $6000 in tools.
Paint & Avionics can vary a fair bit depending what your looking for but your estimates are likely doable.
Are you planning for an interior?

Thanks, I will call about the electronic plans today. Missed interior. What's a good number for interior (towards the high end) ? I'll update to $6k on tools.

Thanks, I will call about the electronic plans today. Missed interior. What's a good number for interior (towards the high end) ? I'll update to $6k on tools.

$6500 for a premium interior (Classic Aero Seats, Carpet, Side panels, Hooker Harness).

This might sting a bit but you'll want to budget $175K for the entire project, $150K is too low.

Your paint number is also low, add $5K to that. While $12.5K is reasonable for paint, it doesn't take into account what the paint shop will have to do to prep your new build for first time painting (i.e., fiberglass work, etc).

The spinner you have in your numbers, nix that. The kit comes with a nice spinner. If you want an aluminum spinner you can polish or chrome about the only one available is from Cummins Spinners (Australia) for about $500. Alan Cummins disappeared for a while, not sure if he's back up and running. I had mine chromed, it's awesome.

If you plan on having SteinAir build you a Garmin panel that number is low, add another $7.5K. As a first time builder to another, I don't recommend attempting to do your own wiring harness, let the experts build it for you.

DEFINITELY get the electric trim elevator and aileron kits, they are easy to install, consider it standard/required. There are no manual options for the 14. It would be exhausting to try to fly it without trim.

A lot of these factors depend on your goals. A 2-3 year build you'll want at least the quickbuild wings or the quickbuild fuselage. If you want a 1.5 year build, get both. The quickbuild option will add $11K. The fuselage and wings kits alone will take about a year and that's if you're on top of it.

Last edited:
$6500 for a premium interior (Classic Aero Seats, Carpet, Side panels, Hooker Harness).

This might sting a bit but you'll want to budget $175K for the entire project, $150K is too low.

Your paint number is also low, add $5K to that. While $12.5K is reasonable for paint, it doesn't take into account what the paint shop will have to do to prep your new build for first time painting (i.e., fiberglass work, etc).

The spinner you have in your numbers, nix that. The kit comes with a nice spinner. If you want an aluminum spinner you can polish or chrome about the only one available is from Cummins Spinners (Australia) for about $500. Alan Cummins disappeared for a while, not sure if he's back up and running. I had mine chromed, it's awesome.

If you plan on having SteinAir build you a Garmin panel that number is low, add another $7.5K. As a first time builder to another, I don't recommend attempting to do your own wiring harness, let the experts build it for you.

DEFINITELY get the electric trim elevator and aileron kits, they are easy to install, consider it standard/required. There are no manual options for the 14. It would be exhausting to try to fly it without trim.

A lot of these factors depend on your goals. A 2-3 year build you'll want at least the quickbuild wings or the quickbuild fuselage. If you want a 1.5 year build, get both. The quickbuild option will add $11K. The fuselage and wings kits alone will take about a year and that's if you're on top of it.

Thanks, no it doesn't sting. I just want a realistic budget to start with. Thanks for the info!

Easily can be built within your budget. Mine was $135k all up.

That being said, my interior is only seats, no sidewalls or carpet etc. All Garmin panel but GTN 625 instead of 650, tray mounted iPad instead of second screen, but G5 for backup. Stock engine and prop.

Add $15 to $25k and you can have those extras. It's never hard to make it more expensive. Above and beyond depends on what you want or can afford.

If your really pushed on the expense side you could easily cut out $10k from my experience.

Your not missing anything in your budget.

Builders Insurance.......$400/yr.

Once I received the engine and prop, I carried builders insurance that would offer protection should high price items develop legs and walk. Also protection in the event of fire, Hurricanes, etc. But mainly theft.

A 135K$ RV-14 is a rare item. I too would budget 175K$, 200K$ if you are married....💍 ....keep her happy, Dog.
R

Thanks, Van's also just confirmed that. The only adder is the Electric Aileron Trim and can be ordered with the wing kit for $330.00.

I have the aileron trim, rarely use it. I just change tanks every hour. I suppose if you were hauling a really big person it might be useful. :eek:

Back