What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring wing tips

Megs4sale

Well Known Member
After a search and not finding any pertinent info would appreciate input on these questions:

1. What Molex fitting style has Vans standardized on - Micro-Fit? Can?t find dimensions to match up male connector specifically concerning the wing tip wiring and the standard harness.
2. For Dynon Skyview builders, OP-55 (I am not using AeroLEDS, but Aveo Zip Tips) calls for a noise filter in left wing part ES-00184. I presume due to ADAHRS installation. Anyone not use it? Do you know a generic noise suppressor/filter that would work?
3. Anyone installed the Zip Tips and can share wiring tips?

Thanks.

3. I installed a set of tips (well I did the wiring at least) on a rocket for close friends. I ran shielded wire for everything and grounded all the shields. The radios still have a **** ton of noise when the strobes and wig wags are on.

Staying on here looking for some other tips that others might have used to kill the noise.

Also we didn't install a filter but the ADAHRS isn't in the wing, its aft fuselage.

edit to add ... the tips look amazing! Not easy to get perfectly symmetrical though as there isn't much flat surfaces to mate with

3. I installed a set of tips (well I did the wiring at least) on a rocket for close friends. I ran shielded wire for everything and grounded all the shields. The radios still have a **** ton of noise when the strobes and wig wags are on.

Staying on here looking for some other tips that others might have used to kill the noise.

Also we didn't install a filter but the ADAHRS isn't in the wing, its aft fuselage.

edit to add ... the tips look amazing! Not easy to get perfectly symmetrical though as there isn't much flat surfaces to mate with

How old are the ZipTips? What type of radios are having the interference problems? I know some of the earlier ZipTips had this issue, but as far as I knew it was eliminated with the more recent versions in the last few years.

Have you or your friend spoken to Aveo? Especially with properly shielded wire there's no reason that there should be an interference issue. Aveo now makes certificated ZipTips so they have to have addressed any interference issues with proper wiring.

Back