What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank inboard rib attachment

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I?m preparing to set the AD470 AD 4-5 rivets that attach the tank inboard rib forward to the Inboard end rib. I have tried every type of squeezer and rivet set in my box and with the exception of a 10in straight rivet set, nothing seems to give adequate clearance on the skin and /or the tank attach bracket assembly.

Using the 10in rivet set will come with a ? smiley risk? unless the stars align perfect.

I?ve read numerous blogs and haven?t found any compelling information on how to tackle this issue- unless you jump off the plans which would lead to other issues. There may be a rivet set with a large offset that may work, just don?t have one handy.

If I go the 10in straight route, I was going to tape up the cup section of the rivet set and put a piece of electrical tape around the outside of the factory head to reduce the smiley risk.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

oNZ.jpg

oN0.jpg

Double offset rivet set

I used a double offset rivet set for mine. They're cheap and you'll need one for other things anyway.

When using the offset rivet set, I tape the set to the gun so that it doesn't spin. I find that the longer the set, the easier is to hold the gun perpendicular. You'll see the angle easier.that's my opinion anyway. .

Back