What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Induction Hose Replacement

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi All:

Ready to replace my induction hoses and gaskets.
Wondering if there are any tips, instructions.warnings, or just general comments about this procedure.
Any good sites or webinars detailing process? Videos?
I realize this is not a complicated procedure but since this is my first time doing it so I thought I would ask for advice.

Thanks
Peter K
RV9A 746 hrs

Intake hoses

If the old hoses don?t slip off the oil sump stub pipes easily I like to slit them with a razor knife. The steel pipe is crimped or beaded into the aluminum sump and I avoid putting a lot of force on this connection. It?s pretty durable, but I?ve seen a couple cases where its gotten loose (causes Intake Leak) and the Sump had to be removed and sent to a shop for re-beading. Divco has the tooling to accomplish this. Not the end of the world, but that time & money is better spent on flying.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Not that hard. You may also want to consider replacing the cylinder oil return line hoses while you are doing it. The access is a little better with the intake tubes off.

I did both last week.

I make another vote for the SDS billet induction tube flanges with o-ring seals. SDS will also include new intake hoses and constant-tension clamps with a set-up. I have switched over on two different RVs and they are pretty darn cool and seal well. The clamps included are spring consant-tension type that take a set of channel locks (pump pliers) to compress for installation. Clean and no worm clamp woes.

lycflange255.jpg

I also swapped out my oil return line hoses at the same time with Parker Super-FLex hose with smaller constant-pressure clamps.

should have done this sooner

I just installed the SDS intake flange kit to replace my original intake hose assemblies after reading this thread. Man, what a difference. I had attributed my variations in CHTs to carburetor uneven fuel distribution. Over 100F differences sometimes, now all are within 40F. Obviously I had some leaks, and maybe new gaskets would have done the trick, but the SDS kit was an inexpensive improvement in quality and hopefully the longevity of my intake system.

Not that hard. You may also want to consider replacing the cylinder oil return line hoses while you are doing it. The access is a little better with the intake tubes off.

I did both last week.

I have been planning to do this, do you know the diameter of the oil return line?

Back