What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Hinge install

Foghorn

Well Known Member
I'm ready to start my FWF install and have 2 question.

1) When did you install the hinges? I've fitted them to the FW flange, drilled and countersunk. It will be easier to squeeze the few rivets where the engine mount attaches to the FW now. It's pretty tight with the mount installed.

2) Section 12 says to shim as necessary. I have the gray colored cowling if that makes a difference. Do you just measure the cowl and FW flange to determine if you need a shim or do you wait until you've cut the cowling to fit and then add a shim (as necessary) and hinges?

Thanks

Clecko the hinges, mount the engine, fit the cowl, then rivet the hinges. You need to hold off on riveting to add shims if needed so the cowl is at the same height as the fuselage. Doing the rivets around the engine mount is not hard.

Remove clekos as needed to get the first big cowl to fuselage trim cut done as it will extend past the clekos until this cut. Leave some room for a finer cut after you put the hinges back on with clekos.

Side note - I put the side pins in via the cockpit. This eliminates the nose pin retainers and provides a nice way to lock the bottom cowl to fuselage pins as the side pin goes over these when in place.

Carl

Back