What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A to RV-6 Conversion

Ramjet

Does Vans offer a service bulletin describing how to convert a tri-gear to a tailwheel? I am less interested in directions as I am in a list of the needed parts. For instance, I found the tailwheel spring and tailwheel kit in the catalog, along with the 6" wheel and tire. But I could not find any line items for landing gear legs or engine mounts in the catalog. I wanted to calculate the parts cost.

How much value would the tri-gear gear engine mount and gear legs have on the used market?

Have any of you readers accomplished this conversion?

Thanks,
Rick

Do you have a copy of plans for your plane? You can build a parts list from there and the process would be described in the builders manual. If you don't have the plans/manual, are available from Vans for $10 on a USB stick.

VANS did it a while back with pictures.

Not that this answers your question, but I recall following an article long ago where VAN's took one of their -6A demonstrators and converted it to TW. Had pictures of it with 4 mains where they had installed the TW engine mount/gear and still had the 6A mains in place, which was likely handy for holding the fuselage..didn't seem that it took all that much to do it.

Do you have a copy of plans for your plane? You can build a parts list from there and the process would be described in the builders manual. If you don't have the plans/manual, are available from Vans for $10 on a USB stick.

I don't have a plane yet, am considering several -6A projects. I am curious, once I have a list of part numbers, how do I get prices? How do I order? Call Van's? It seems that Van's must not list all of their available parts in the catalog, Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Rick

Correct, most things are priced on their web store by part#, items not listed might be offered as part groupings like the mount & gear legs as a package, which you can price by phoning Vans.
On a couple repair projects, I emailed them a list of #s I could find and a note explaining what I was doing, & they came back with itemized quotes.

Getting the WD-409 tailwheel spring weldment attached will be most of the work. I think you'll have to pull the aft bulkhead to get it in, assuming it isn't already there.

The main gear should be pretty easy if you leave the A main mounts in place.

Engine mount and gear leg kit is $1750 as of June this year, wd-409 $50. Bulkhead 611 and 612 are $52 and $19 respectively, the 611 and 12 bulkheads are doubled for the tailwheel and also the aluminum stock that the horizontal stab bolts to are done a little different. You might could get away without removing the empennage to get in there but I doubt it, its already a pain to get in there for riveting with it off.

Engine mount and gear leg kit is $1750 as of June this year, wd-409 $50. Bulkhead 611 and 612 are $52 and $19 respectively, the 611 and 12 bulkheads are doubled for the tailwheel and also the aluminum stock that the horizontal stab bolts to are done a little different. You might could get away without removing the empennage to get in there but I doubt it, its already a pain to get in there for riveting with it off.

The airplane project that I am most interested in has not assembled the tail yet. Access to the aft bulkhead has been described as good right now, I understand that I install a second aft bulkhead to double it. It sounds like you are describing a second bulkhead, in addition to the Aft also gets doubled?

Do both the RV-6 and the RV-6A get detailed on the same drawings? Or will I need to order a set specific tot he RV-6?

The full plans will show both configurations. Technically the bulkhead is doubled in both models. They are just configured differently. Here is the drawing for the assembly of the 611 bulkhead.

Attachments

• 20200813_180449~2.jpg
    20200813_180449~2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 297
Tires are fine

You do not need to change the wheels/brakes unless you just want larger wheels. The 6and 6A share the same 500x5 wheels. A friend of mine did this very conversion and kept the same wheels/brakes. Saves a good bit of cash and lighter to boot.

You do not need to change the wheels/brakes unless you just want larger wheels. The 6and 6A share the same 500x5 wheels. A friend of mine did this very conversion and kept the same wheels/brakes. Saves a good bit of cash and lighter to boot.
That kind of makes me wonder... If you could somehow just rotate the -6A mains as a set 180 degrees, so they pointed forwards instead of aft, where would that put the main wheels? I suppose replacing the mounting weldments for the wheels would be the hard part... The gear couldn't go through the same hole anyway as it would point back through the spar once it got into the fuselage...

You really don't want to do that.....

That kind of makes me wonder... If you could somehow just rotate the -6A mains as a set 180 degrees, so they pointed forwards instead of aft, where would that put the main wheels? I suppose replacing the mounting weldments for the wheels would be the hard part... The gear couldn't go through the same hole anyway as it would point back through the spar once it got into the fuselage...

Designing and building weldments would be a monumental task. It would be an interesting project, but I wouldn't want to try it!

I asked Van's the same question a few months ago. I can't find the email right now but the RV-6 engine mount and cowl are no longer available, RV-7 items must be used. A 6A cowl could be used for a 6 (cut lower corners for the gear) but not the other way. They didn't have a list of parts required. There are a few differences that may not have to be changed, such as position of the brake pipes on the firewall. The must do parts (engine mount, gear, fuselage bulkheads, tail wheel bracket) have already been covered.

The shipping costs to this side of the Atlantic killed the idea, in the end I found a 6 to buy and sold my 6A.

Pete

I know this thread is a few months old but I am about to start this conversion to my RV-6A quickbuild fuselage. All my parts arrived today from Vans. I may post pictures along the way since the question has been asked so many times.

Back