What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Guru needed

Howdy All,
My name is Jim Baker and I am the director of an antique aircraft museum (www.whereolddogsfly.org). One of my good friends built an RV-12, flew it for about 5 hours, then passed away. His family has placed the aircraft with us with the idea of us raffling it to support our museum. We are a 501c(3) and can do that. He was a tremendous supporter, in fact donated a Cessna 140 to us as well, and we will use the funds to support our aviation scholarships in his name.
Im going to be honest... an RV12 is outside of my wheelhouse. Ive had a professional aircraft restoration business for 30 years. Im an A&P, IA, and a Captain for a major airline. We do welding, wood, dope and fabric, radial engines, etc., but not so much RVs (but I like them!)
Id like to find someone who knows RV12s to provide some oversight. The airplane needs its condition inspection, and the remainder of its hours flown off for the airworthiness certificate. He (the builder) was an engineer and a tremendous craftsman. In the interest of safety, and to honor his legacy, Id like someone knowledgeable to look it over and provide guidance for us so we are not raffling an airplane with any known or undiscovered issues... I need this to be a tribute to him, and not a problem for someone else... he was my friend.
We are located in Central Texas, between Houston, San Antonio and Austin.
Any ideas on who might be a go-to guy? Id appreciate any leads or help.
Thanks,
Tailwinds,
Jim Baker, Director
Texas Barnstorming Museum
(361)772-6434
[email protected]

THE RV Guru is Vic Syracuse at Base Leg Aviation in Georgia. He travels a lot to do pre-buy inspections and is quite reasonably priced. So if it is a guru you need. He's the guy. His contact info is below:

Vic Syracuse
[email protected]
404-307-5133

Back