What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

80 amp Nippondenso alternator...which one fits?

William

Well Known Member
Hi everyone I’ve got a electrically dependent RV-10 with EFII and air conditioning. Because of this I’m in need of a alternator capable of at least 80amps. Does anyone have any first hand experience on which Nippondenso or Denso automotive alternator will fit the standard boss mount bracket without too much modifications?

Thanks
Bill

You sure you need that much capacity? I have an RV10 with a 45 amp alternator and have been unable to draw more than it can provide. It is a full IFR ship with Pitot heat. There are an awefull lot of RV10's flying with well less than 80 amps.

When considering electric A/C, I found a 100 amp in the S10 configuration (aftermarket), so they are out there. However, I have never seen a small case ND alt greater than 60 amps.

Larry

Last edited:
You sure you need that much capacity? I have an RV10 with a 45 amp alternator and have been unable to draw more than it can provide. It is a full IFR ship with Pitot heat. There are an awefull lot of RV10's flying with well less than 80 amps.

When considering electric A/C, I found a 100 amp in the S10 configuration (aftermarket), so they are out there. However, I have never seen a small case ND alt greater than 60 amps.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I’m not convinced I need the 80amp alternator either, but it would definitely give a good buffer. In my RV6A I have the ND 1987 samarai alternator and it’s been flawless. I think I’ll give the 60amp alternator a try and see how it works out. I don’t believe I’ll be pushing more then 60amps either.

Thanks
Bill

Just keep in mind the AC blower draws 15A at max speed, and you'll be pulling that while the engine is at idle speed where the alternator makes substantially less than full output.

Just keep in mind the AC blower draws 15A at max speed, and you'll be pulling that while the engine is at idle speed where the alternator makes substantially less than full output.

Hi Hgerhardt thanks for the response... I understand the amp output of the alternator is going to be lower at the lower rpms. A 3” pulley will help some, of course with the probability of a lower life span on the alternator because of the higher rpms it would be subject to during higher power settings. Still would like the option for a higher output alternator that would fit without much modification. I’m fine with Cowling fiberglass work as well if needed for the alternator to fit.

Thanks
Bill

Pre-2000 FWD Honda 4-cylinders run "backwards" (CCW) compared to most other cars, which means the internal cooling fans are proper for Lycomings. Yeah, there are naysayers on this forum that claim it doesn't matter. But, why not use a built-in advantage if there's one available?

A 2000 Acura Integra (fancy Civic) has a 90A Denso as standard and has a mounting scheme similar to other common Denso-based alternators we use on RV's. Use an impact gun to remove the pulley nut to substitute a V-belt pulley. Google to find one.

There's another recent thread here about how PP voltage regulators are modified to make them runaway-proof. That regulator should fit this alternator too.

As for a bracket, you could use a PP or B&C which might work or have one CNC'd from aluminum with an extra tab to pick up more holes on the engine to get better belt alignment and more stability, especially with a heavier alt as this one. I designed the one below in a few minutes. Use EAA's 'free' Solidworks to design one and then have a CNC vendor make one. I have one exactly like this on my -6 since 2007.

13677N_F1sub__ra_p.jpg

Attachments

• Alt Bracket.jpg
    Alt Bracket.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Thanks Hgerhardt I’ll look into this; you’re solidworks picture didn’t come through. Could you email me a picture? ��. [email protected]

Thanks
Bill

Added the pic above via Doug's new system instead of google pics.
Also, that design is a quick-and-dirty thing I threw together to show concept. I don't have a Lycoming in my office to take measurements from!

Last edited:
Added the pic above via Doug's new system instead of google pics.
Also, that design is a quick-and-dirty thing I threw together to show concept. I don't have a Lycoming in my office to take measurements from!

Thanks Hgerhardt for your help!

Bill

You're putting all you amps in one basket.................

Hi Emsvitil thanks for your response. I’ve got a full size backup battery Connected directly to my engine bus that is charged by the single on board alternator. A proper sized shottky diode keeps everything happy.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi everyone I’ve got a electrically dependent RV-10 with EFII and air conditioning. Because of this I’m in need of a alternator capable of at least 80amps. Does anyone have any first hand experience on which Nippondenso or Denso automotive alternator will fit the standard boss mount bracket without too much modifications?

Thanks
Bill
Curious which alternator you ultimately chose, William?

Hi Hgerhardt thanks for the response... I understand the amp output of the alternator is going to be lower at the lower rpms. A 3” pulley will help some, of course with the probability of a lower life span on the alternator because of the higher rpms it would be subject to during higher power settings. Still would like the option for a higher output alternator that would fit without much modification. I’m fine with Cowling fiberglass work as well if needed for the alternator to fit.

Thanks
Bill

Just to be clear about 3" pulley use..... Installing a 3" pully REDUCES the RPM of the alternator. It is the driven unit.

brackett

I have a brackett that I used on my RV7a before I overhauled my engine. I had a Denzo on the old o320. You are welcome to it if interested.

You can look for the ND alternator for a 1996 Toyota Paseo-there are two, the 60A is 100 mm dia stator, I think the 70A is 110mm dia - so it is a little larger. Look it up and note the clocking of the tension lug. I would investigate the Plane power 60A mount for the lower mount and make a custom tension arm for it.

Back