What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron rigging w/o alignment plate W-930

OZCleco

G'day,

We recently replaced both aileron pushrods (among many other things) on our newly acquired RV9A club aircraft.

The aircraft was built and completed by Walter Steeves in Canada, 2003. Needless to say we don't have any of the original rigging equipment here in Australia.

Wingtips are riveted on.

Where to start? I have ideas but would prefer to absorb advice from folks who have been there done that.

Cheers, Pat.

If the wing tips and flaps were aligned with the ailerons, couldn't you just "clamp" the ailerons to to them and then center everything up from there? Measure the stick travel from side to side and split the difference and stabilize it in the center.

Typically that tool is for setting the angle of the bell crank and not the aileron rigging, though it can be used for holdin the ailerons in neutral position once the short pushrod has been properly adjusted with jig installed and aileron in confirmed position. In your case, you shouldn't assume that. The ailerons need to be in a specific alignment with the wing chord line. On my 6, I used the tooling holes in the outer rib to create a line and matched the aileron trailing edge to it. Not sure on the specific procedure for the 9.

I recommend getting the builders manual from Vans ($10 for USB) and following it's guidance for rigging the ailerons and flaps.

Larry

Last edited:
Rigging can be done without this alignment tool, and this tool should not be relied on exclusive when rigging.

My suggestion:
- Start with the flaps. Make sure they are really all the way up (common problem) by a straight edge on the bottom of the fuselage. Once done, run a straight edge along the flap length to check for twist and to make sure left and right flaps are exactly how the same.
- Once flaps are set, then rig the ailerons to be in a straight line with the flaps. Both sides the same, stick in the right position. Do this with the elevator clamped in neutral.
- Again with a straight edge verify the ailerons have not twist and left and right are the same.
- With ailerons clamped to the flaps in the up position, measure the wing skin to aileron leading edge gap. You are checking to make sure you don?t have one end lower/higher than the other. This I find is the leading cause of the dreaded heavy wing.
- After all this is done, then move on to the wingtips. As yours are already done, if they are not aligned with the ailerons you may need to rework. If they are just a little off then fly the plane before making the decision to rework or not.

Rigging is not one and done. Take your time and have an extra set of eyes. It pays off.

Carl

Thanks, yep got the USB and Section 7 was of course relevant to that phase of wing construction - unless I've missed a rigging procedure elsewhere.

All advice noted with many thanks!

Pat.

Back