What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV knowledgeable CFI in Denver

lr172

Well Known Member
I have decided to give my RV-6A to my oldest son instead of selling it. It will be quite a bit less expensive to add a training component to my insurance policy and do his PPL training in the 6A over FBO rentals fees. However, I need a CFI that can manage the balance between letting a student learn how to land and not letting the student land on the nose gear. Hoping that he can be trained from day one to always execute "soft field" landings with a nose up attitude.

Therefore, I need a CFI with enough skill and finesse to manage this somewhat unique situation. I am also considering having my son do a few lessons in a typical trainer to work through the initial landing work.

Does anyone know a good CFI to work with? Unsure if plane will be based at BJC or APA, as both are a similar distance to his home and haven't checked into tie down costs.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Larry

Hi Larry,

You may have found a CFI by now, and I have limited experience, but here are some options:

- I'm training with Steve Purcell out of APA, and we definitely approach landings that way. Steve is experienced in many types of aircraft and he'll instruct in your aircraft. He's also very reasonably priced in case that's a factor too. His details are on this page: https://www.apaflyers.com/team

- For BJC, you could try some of the CFIs who are part of the EAA chapter there: EAA 43. I know at least one of them is an RV7 pilot, and all of them have very impressive backgrounds. I'm not sure how many of them offer initial training, but it's worth a shot because of the EAA link. They are listed in the monthly newsletters here: https://chapters.eaa.org/eaa43/newsletters/2020-newsletters

Good luck to your son.

Best regards

Glenn

Thanks for the Guidance Glenn.

We have settled on Erie as the home for the 6. I imagine the CFI's training out of BJC might accommodate a student in Erie. Also interested in CFI's based there as well.

Larry

You might consider Steve Flattum. He lives west of Chicago and travels to Denver.

He did my transition training in my RV-9A and owns a 7A. I was very pleased.

PM me if you want contact information.

Back