What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Rotax 912 ULS

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone used, or purchased a used, remanufactured 912 ULS for their RV-12. I would only consider buying from Lockwood or CPS. Any opinions would be appreciated. I would still purchase the FWF kit from Vans

Just in case you are not aware; if you choose to purchase an engine from a different source other than Van's, you will have to certify your RV-12 as an experimental amateur built.

Just in case you are not aware; if you choose to purchase an engine from a different source other than Van's, you will have to certify your RV-12 as an experimental amateur built.

I think Scott's comment only applies to newly registered RV-12s. It won't be too long before some Rotax 912s in the RV12/E-LSA fleet will reach TBO (2000h or 15yrs if I recall). The last time I heard a price estimate to have a 912 overhauled (~$12K) it led a few us to think about maybe just selling a used engine a few years before TBO to someone who would want one, with expectations to put fewer hours on it per year, and just buying a new engine for the RV. Curious if anyone in that position has looked into it?

I think Scott's comment only applies to newly registered RV-12s. It won't be too long before some Rotax 912s in the RV12/E-LSA fleet will reach TBO (2000h or 15yrs if I recall). The last time I heard a price estimate to have a 912 overhauled (~$12K) it led a few us to think about maybe just selling a used engine a few years before TBO to someone who would want one, with expectations to put fewer hours on it per year, and just buying a new engine for the RV. Curious if anyone in that position has looked into it?

Yes, my post was in the context of the initial certification process and the influence that the source of the engine will have on that.

The moment it has been certified as an E-LSA, an owner can do any modification they wish (even change to a different type of engine) as long as the modification doesn't make the airplane no longer meet the FAA's LSA Spec's and Performance Requirements.

Back