What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to torque gear legs?

jcboon

I would like to re-torque the red bolts. Is there a way to stop the heads from turning with the legs in place? Or do you need to remove the legs before torquing the read bolts?

ACtC-3eqGR5XgueOb9NHpEzm8hd7ko_nFLOi3yFAxH8HKSzew8JVtxfdgn9nGMV-EyBTDahBS5oIoOt6lLTzD2EFXFrYnrf3x21X8fXREDD2FCpnvuB3aWo3VHtaQtlSEB687j2ir34-b7QanM4Bl1PBZZ5G=w1617-h818-no

Last edited:
We redid this on N836BL to paint the main landing gear legs.

It's pretty much a two man job, one underneath holding the ratchet and long extension to the socket, and someone on top, to start the nuts, and hold them to prevent them from spinning.

At least in our case, it was a two man job, we weren't smart enough to figure out how to do it otherwise. Same thing when we did final torque wrench settings. Then witness paint on all the bolts and nuts.

Jeroen,

That’s interesting, do you have an RV12is ? That block is different on mine (circa 2017) there are no 4 recessed nuts in a plate, the main bolts secure that - which is what ninerbikes refers to torquing.

I would feel better if there is a way to re-torque these 4 bolts (without removing the legs). But maybe I should just re-torque the main bolts and forget about these 4 recessed bolts. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The specification in the PAP for re-torquing the main gear leg attach bolts is speaking of just the bolts that attach the legs.

The fasteners that attach the spacer plates do not need to be re-torqued.

Back