- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Default another cell phone idea for rescue

In my OP I mentioned that a cell phone is probably of little use. I just saw a video where a downed pilot used his cell phones camera FLASH to get the attention of helicopters! Brilliant Watson! Another point of data that I hope no-one ever needs to use.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 03-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Ideas

Just since we are discussing it... Dont forget to use the tools you pack.

A wonderful fellow rv owner that we had met and enjoyed his hospitality..

Geoff Picard from Chilliwack BC went missing this fall on his way home from visiting family in alberta. He and his wife and his dog. Terrible. But he apparently had a spot and of course an elt..and not a peep or track from either. Plane still missing... May never be found in the mountains so pack all you want but dont forget to push the buttons if you have the toys so you at least have a fighting chance. All the gear in the word is of no use if not activated/used.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4486501/m...port-edmonton/

On another note for the first aid kit, a buddy with a lot of first aid knowledge put me onto stuff called Quick Clot. Small light weight pack and if you have very bad cuts, its apparently the best thing out there for stopping a bleed out fast. No idea, just bought one and threw it in the bag. Hope not to have to try it out.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
A few points in hopes of spurring further conversation...

1) a correction... 406MHz PLBs do NOT have an annual subscription fee. Other devices such as Spot, InReach, SpiderTracks etc are all subscription-based, but the PLB is like your ELT - zero subscription fees. You pay those fees every year when you pay your taxes, the funds that go to pay for SAR services in your country.

2) Shelter is paramount, as has been pointed out previously. Not mentioned and of critical importance is shelter from biting insects. In some parts of the world the insects can be more than an annoyance. More than one crash survivor has been driven to make life-threatening decisions under the mental strain of trying to get away from the bugs. At a minimum, a tent with good screens will provide shelter from the elements as well as the bugs. A bug headnet and/or jacket isn't a bad idea either. Bug spray is of very little use as it won't stop the bugs from forming a cloud around your head, and it will eventually run out.

3) Colour choice is of critical importance when it comes to survival. At OSH a few years ago I saw a company there selling survival kits. They showed aerial photos of a "crash location" with an 8' x 8' tarp erected as a shelter. They showed the same site using tarps of different colours. The only colour that stood out was the most common bright blue. That came as a surprise to me. Now the floor of the cargo area of our aircraft is protected by a folded blue tarp to supplement the tent that rides along on top of it.

4) for food, think of energy density and the kind of energy, protein vs carbohydrate. After spending some time looking at this, I've fallen back to plastic containers of nuts as my emergency rations. High energy density, low carb count to help your body switch over to burning its own fat reserves, and they taste good.

5) One assumes the only means of communication is electronic. What that assumption leaves out is the critical "last mile" portion of the SAR phase. The whistle is a fantastic idea (one of those items that should be in your personal survival kit), but don't forget about a signal mirror. Contrary to popular myth, compact discs don't make very good signal mirrors. Last but not least, carrying flares and "canned smoke" will help attract the attention of that Herc that's flying just a couple of miles away, and will lead rescuers to your exact location in the swamp. Just remember that flares have a shelf life and can become unstable outside that "best before" date, so remember to review and renew your survival kit every year. One of the best sources of flares is actually at marine supply shops.

6) Firestarters... of critical importance, especially for warmth in colder climes. Last year at OSH I found my "survival knife" which has built into its sheath a "blast match" style of metallic fire starter. Seemed like a great idea at relatively low cost. Also, a rope saw is a good idea, but be careful of what you buy as many of them only last a few seconds before their abrasive material disappears. Buy it and try it, and be prepared to buy another one.

7) Attitude! What the OP didn't mention because it came as second nature to him is that preparedness automatically brings with it a positive attitude toward survival. Having thought your way through survival scenarios before they happen means you have a mental plan to follow should an event occur. Many studies have shown that the first few minutes post-crash are where you make the decisions which set the foundation for either survival or quickly perishing. Positive Mental Attitude is THE biggest tool in your survival kit!

As a young Air Cadet I was fortunate to receive survival instruction from a retired RCAF SAR tech. He had trouble walking as a result of injuries sustained while parachuting into a crash site. He broke both ankles but still was able to stabilize four crash survivors. He stayed with them for over 48 hours while waiting for weather to improve enough for a helicopter to get to them. He was able to do that by having used metal from his packsack frame and the crashed aircraft to fabricate leg splints, lashing them to his legs with parachute cord. When this guy talked as a survival instructor, you listened, because he had seen more than his fair share of people who hadn't survived and a few who had, and knew the differences that made the survivors live. I'm so thankful for having had that opportunity to learn from him.
Could someone tell me what PLB isn?t subscription based?
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2020(my reminder)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
Could someone tell me what PLB isn?t subscription based?
Pretty much all of them...

Personally, I have a GME MT410G in a pouch on my survival vest. Cost around $300 Australian (probably about $22.50USD now our dollar has tanked...) and is about the size of the original iPod. It incorporates a GPS that they say is good to <100m accuracy, and has to be registered at no cost, with your national SAR orginisation, in my case, AMSA. They send you update reminders, and you can even upload photos of what you'll be using it in (boat, plane, 4x4) so rescuers know what they're looking for.

Like IronFlight, I feel if I'm not wearing it, I may not have it after spearing in, to that end, I utilised one of those tactical vests to stuff full of goodies intended to help after breaking my -9. I wear it every flight, notwithstanding the weird looks I get at the bowser - but using the logic "I fly in an aeroplane I built in my back shed", it makes explanations a lot easier.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 AM

[/quote]

Haha. Two condoms, thats funny. Just incase you meet some ladies that think the vest is sexy? Made me laugh

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Survival vest

Anybody have some recommendations on a good vest to carry survival items?
RV-8A
YIO-360 180 hp Lycoming
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Prop
Engine Hung
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Default fishing vest

When i was doing a lot of mountain flying i researched all this. A basic fishing vest from gander mountain or bass pro worked great. Lots of pockets, lightweight and inexpensive.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Survival Mirror

One day I was flying over some mountains just west of Bear Lake, at the ID/UT border, and saw a flash from the ground. I wasn't on a search and rescue mission, just going somewhere. The flash was off to the side.

Turns out, it was a group of people with several vehicles. I figured that they were playing, since they appeared to be well able to get help locally if necessary.

The thing was, I was down-sun, and it still worked quite well. It's worth having one (at least) in the kit.

Dave
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Just a thought, has anyone ever discussed activating the ELT once you know that you are going to ditch prior to the impact? That way you have some altitude for better range, and in the event it is destroyed in the crash, at least some signal got out. With the new ELT's a lot of info can be transmitted prior to the downing.
Victoria, TX
Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWoodall View Post

Haha. Two condoms, thats funny. Just incase you meet some ladies that think the vest is sexy? Made me laugh
Condoms actually have lots of uses in survival kits. They can hold water, be used as waterproof storage, makeshift medical gloves or bandages, and even as fire starters and sling shots. Not that there is anything wrong with their intended use. Morale is important in survival situations, after all.

Chris