- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_RV9A View Post

Waiting impatiently for for my Rotax 915 powered, RV-9 wing, RV-15
I think Vans would do very well with a reworked 915 powered version of the -9 assuming of course they could do it at a competitive price point.
Need a wing kit
Old 01-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe gremlin View Post
I think Vans would do very well with a reworked 915 powered version of the -9 assuming of course they could do it at a competitive price point.
That can be done today by any EAB builder, no need for a new model with it. If they are going to introduce a new model, methinks it will have more changes than just a different engine on an existing plane.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So, is the teaser campaign on fb/instagram a genuine market research campaign, which would mean a 15 launch is still at the concept stage and therefore years away?

Or is it a pre-launch teaser which means all these decisions and engineering have already been done and the launch is imminent, so our responses don't matter much?

My feeling is you wouldn't focus your marketing on the 15, potentially causing people to hold off on committing to an existing model, unless launch was going to be very soon...

Same question I?ve asked myself. In OSH 2018 VANS told us the project RV15 has started.
1,5 years later they ask what ?we hope it will be?.
I guess you have to decide right at the beginning if you want to build a 2 seater high wing bush plane or a 6 seater high performance aircraft.
So I have no idea what is the intention behind. If it is marketing research, what was done the last 1,5 years?
I hope for a launch very soon, so I can finally decide if it is worth to wait or start building.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
That can be done today by any EAB builder, no need for a new model with it. If they are going to introduce a new model, methinks it will have more changes than just a different engine on an existing plane.
Agreed, but it would be great for them to offer an engine mount, cowling, and FF kit for it...
Old 01-22-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
So, is the teaser campaign on fb/instagram a genuine market research campaign, which would mean a 15 launch is still at the concept stage and therefore years away?

Or is it a pre-launch teaser which means all these decisions and engineering have already been done and the launch is imminent, so our responses don't matter much?

My feeling is you wouldn't focus your marketing on the 15, potentially causing people to hold off on committing to an existing model, unless launch was going to be very soon...

Given how they?ve answered some of the questions, I?m pretty sure they?re teasing pre-launch. As you said, anyone considering an RV today would be wise to wait and see what the -15 is and Van?s knows it.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
True. But isn't the -7 just an updated version of the -6 that is designed to accept engines the -6 was never designed to take? Isn't it the case with the -4 and the -8 as well? And the -7 and the -14?

The -9 was not designed to use the 915 engine and getting one elegantly into that airframe will be no easy task for someone trying to roll their own solution.

Redesign the -9 for that specific engine, integrate the same sorts of airframe design and construction changes that turned the -7 into the -14 and I'd bet kits would fly out the door.
Need a wing kit
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe gremlin View Post
Why? The -12 has more room and better visibility than the -9 and the useful load might be surprisingly close.

The 915 has a turbo which typically have some long-term maintenance issues. Granted, they can maintain rated HP at altitude, unlike a normally aspirated engine.

The installed weight might be surprisingly close to a Lycoming. Rotax lists the empty weight of the 915 as 186.4 lb (84.6 kg) but this number does not include the ?fuel pumps assembly, radiator and oil cooler?, which can add a good bit of weight.

Lycoming lists the weight of the O-290D2 at 233 lb (106 kg), which is closest in power out 135 hp continuous and 140 hp for five minutes.

As a performance measure, when I had the O-290D2 in my -9, it had a fixed pitch Catto climb prop on it. (Standard O-235 prop for an RV-3.) at 65% power it would cruise right at 140 knots / 165 mph and climb at 1600 fpm, if I pushed it. It was a really good match to the airframe and had I not had a prop strike and been able to find parts, I would still be flying with it.

All that said, I am a fan of Rotax engines. I?m just not sure retrofitting one to an existing airframe is worth the effort.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 AM

The RV12 uses a Rotax 912

RV15 using a Rotax 915 makes some sense.

A Rotax 915 has a critical altitude of 15,000 ft and 135 HP continuous (141 HP takeoff)

A RV9ish / RV12ish plane with a 915 would be an impressive high altitude / x-country machine (better than RV9 because of higher available HP)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 AM

Default Hey Gash...

Rick 'Ghastly'? Really? Just for that I'm going to flood your email with Milli Vanilli videos.

Scratchbuilt Biplane
Preceptor N3 - Sold
Zenith Zodiac 601HD - Sold (good riddance)
Kitfox IV - Sold my share, but loved that plane
RV8A Sold! Loved the plane, but not the nosewheel!
RVX (RV6/4) Sold
Cherokee 180 pickup truck
RV8 Fastback
Old 01-22-2020, 07:02 AM

Default Baby RV-8

Here's my hope. A tandem seat taildragger version of the RV-12 capable of mild aerobatics. Maybe a couple engine options; Rotax, O-200 and O-235. Something less expensive to build, great fun to fly and doesn't chug back 390 fuel burn.
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV-8
Donation till September 2020