What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

07-07 Rudder Skin / Frame Assembly drilling

tyconnell

Well Known Member
Following steps 2 - 4 and clecoing up the skins and rudder assembly components mentioned in those steps, I only see callouts to drill:
- The holes common to the skins and trailing edge
- The holes common to the skins, Tip Rib and Counterbalance rib, and
- The odd hole in the forward skin flange overlap

I'm reading this as "the rest of the holes in the skin and rudder frame assembly are already final size" since Simon did not say "drill all the things."

Am I correct?

Generally true - but IIRC the rudder on the -14 is from the 9/9A and parts aren't fully drilled to size on that model (note rudder parts have a "9" designation in the part number).

Look forward in the plans to see if parts get drilled to size later on - many times this is what you find. To know if holes are already drilled to size, grab an appropriate size rivet and test the holes. You don't want to dimple an under-sized hole.

Thanks for reaching out - always good to have feedback from someone who's actually done it.

Generally true - but IIRC the rudder on the -14 is from the 9/9A and parts aren't fully drilled to size on that model (note rudder parts have a "9" designation in the part number).

I had thought the same - the "9" being in the part number meant it was from a 9. Maybe it is and it's just different in the -9 now. I built a -9 emp kit a few years ago, and outside of the R-903 tip rib and R-912 counterbalance rib, the rest of it is different. Skins, stiffeners, spar, bottom rib don't match in the drawings nor in the part numbers, which is why I was wondering if they were somehow "new" for the -14 and didn't need to be drilled. Further, the tip rib and counter balance rib were specifically called out to be drilled, and since they are carry overs from the -9 kit, this would make sense.

Look forward in the plans to see if parts get drilled to size later on - many times this is what you find.
They don't - almost immediately after that is disassemble, deburr, dimple, prime.

To know if holes are already drilled to size, grab an appropriate size rivet and test the holes. You don't want to dimple an under-sized hole.

This is probably the best advice - I'll check that, thanks!

Back