What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA-112 fuel drain flange countersinks

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m preparing my tanks to get the black goop out this week and checking the fit of everything, I’ve noticed the va112 fuel drain flanges are countersunk waaaay too deep for the called out AD3-4 rivet.

I don’t know if I would be successful riveting these, as all the force from the squeezer will go onto the flange and not the rivet.

Has anyone else seen this?

I’m thinking to just upsize the holes to #30 and use an AD4 rivet?

The countersink diameter is 0.2110and an AD4 rivet head is 0.2130 so might have to make the existing countersinks very slightly deeper.

Attachments

• 5E87FBB3-F688-4469-A9D8-01DDB0AC5758.jpg
    5E87FBB3-F688-4469-A9D8-01DDB0AC5758.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 262
Not that deep

Mine are perfectly flush, they weren't that deep. After riveting the heads of the rivets sit nicely.

I suggest contacting Van's, if there's an issue they'll have new parts sent pronto (just depends if that's going to hold things up for you).

Great service!

An update from the excellent folks at the factory - it seems this part was manufactured by their supplier incorrectly. The 2 flanges left in the bin at the factory were also incorrect (so check your flanges!). As usual their response was fast and helpful (despite the time zone) and they are sending me 2 more FOC once they get a new batch supplies (done correctly) from their supplier. Such great service.

Back