What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMU 11 wiring in wing GMU 22 location

scavarra

I'm New Here
I'm reaching out to people who have a flying RV-14 having installed a GMU 11 in the Van's suggested location for the GMU 22 and used the WH-00125 wiring harness.

Does anyone who has done this have a wiring diagram they'd share for how they ran the CAN bus though the connectors and which pins they used?

I've been debating about using this location for the GMU 11 as I have seen several build logs on who have done this. However, I've been struggling on how to wire it in this location. How successful is this?

It seems like it would be easier to install it in the right wing tip by extending the CAN bus from the roll servo. What have people's results been by doing it this way? I've not found any info from people with flying RV-14s comment on what their success rate was.

Thanks,
Stephan

I'm using the stock Van's harness and re purposing the shielded wire provisioned for the the GMU22 for the GMU11 as follows:

Red power
Wht/Red - Can Bus Hi
Wht/Blk - Can Bus Low
Blk - Ground

ShortSnorter, Thank you very much. I was wondering about this.

Per G3Xpert, I found in another thread they say:
A 4 wire shielded cable does not provide the dedicated shielded, twisted pair cabling (normally 22 AWG) needed by the high speed CAN bus.

The power and ground wires should be run separately.

Based on this, I was leaning away from this solution. Maybe just using two of the wires in the 4 wire with the shield was my thought.

Have you had any problems with your configuration? Do you have a heated pitot in that wing? (I know, lots of discussions about heated pitot and interference, both yes and no, in other threads)

--Stephan

I used the Van's harness. For the CAN bus I rerouted cable F2240 from the tail into the left wing. I then used F2309 going to the panel.

I used F2250 for power, backup power, and ground.

I created a separate cable from the left wing to the panel with its own wing root molex connector for the GTP 59 OAT Probe.

Hope this helps.

ShortSnorter, Thank you very much. I was wondering about this.

Per G3Xpert, I found in another thread they say:
A 4 wire shielded cable does not provide the dedicated shielded, twisted pair cabling (normally 22 AWG) needed by the high speed CAN bus.

The power and ground wires should be run separately.

Based on this, I was leaning away from this solution. Maybe just using two of the wires in the 4 wire with the shield was my thought.

Have you had any problems with your configuration? Do you have a heated pitot in that wing? (I know, lots of discussions about heated pitot and interference, both yes and no, in other threads)

--Stephan

I hope this isn't the case! I'm not in the air yet so I don't know if it is an issue or not. I do have the unregulated heated pitot in the left wing, but I ran dedicated wires (AWG 14 twisted), made sure to route them as far away from the GMU11 area as possible.

Do you happen to have the link saved for the conversation regarding the CAN bus wiring?

Back