What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HTE - vs - HVLP

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I just looked at a HF compressor add and saw they had a HTE spray gun. I never heard of it so I did a bit of looking and found this article. It says it gets 70-90% of the paint on the surface where HVLP is 60-70%.

It uses lower CFM too. If you can get more paint on the surface at lower cfm, sounds like a winner. Has anyone tried one of these guns? Am I falling for advertising or is this something to look at? Saving 10-20% paint would cut the cost quite a bit - if it works. Truthfully, saving paint isnt as big of a deal as a good paint job!

https://www.paintandpanel.com.au/article/C1721970-F40F-11DD-9FB40050568C22C9

Generally speaking, higher pressure at the nozzle makes finer droplets which leave a superior (as in smoother) finish, but are less environmentally and bank-friendly as more paint ends up where you don't want it.

That said, in my (very limited) experience expensive guns do seem to do better with less air and overspray. When I look at the T110 (non-HVLP) nozzle on the $$$ deVilbiss under a microscope, there is an angle to the jets that, I'm guessing, increases shear on the stream of paint, yet it still comes out very neat and even in a wide fan. I was not able to achieve the same kind of smooth finish with HF guns. Then again, I only tried two of the cheap ones from many years ago--things may have improved.

Whatever you do, it will take a lot of practice to get good at it. There's a reason pros charge what they charge. My solution was to get good at paint correction: it doesn't matter what kind of gun you use if you have a lot of patience to cut and buff...

Paint guns

Tough to beat a DeVilbiss FLG for the price. Love my FLG3. Pros swear by a Sata or Iwata, but they are pricey. Never heard any use an HTE gun but I understand the idea is to get more paint on the surface. Whichever you choose, buy a really good regulator. RTI Mini 1/4 or better. You can't spray consistently if the pressure fluctuates at the gun.

Last edited:
I don?t claim to be a paint expert but the article in the original post is datedJuly 2002. I?m wondering if things have changed in 18 years.

I don?t claim to be a paint expert but the article in the original post is datedJuly 2002. I?m wondering if things have changed in 18 years.

Good catch. I never looked at the date. If it were that great, maybe I would have heard about the HTE guns before now! More research is needed.

HTE or High Transfer Efficiency guns are worth looking into.

I did more research and I think I will pick one up. They look like they could be nice. I learned quite a bit on my first try painting. My plane looks OK, but not great. I tried the buff and cut without knowing what I was doing and burned through the paint in a couple areas. After certification and fly off, I may do a strip and re-paint or let someone who really does know what they are doing paint it!

What I use

I have never messed with any of the HVLP type guns(Id like to try one though), but have painted several cars and my RV-4 with my old (early 80's) Devilbiss 2 quart pressure pot gun. It is nice because the paint is pressure fed and the 2 quart "cup" has a loop handle to carry it, with 6' lines to the gun. Your arm doesn't get tired, and you can lay on the ground shooting upward with no problems when needed... and less re-filling. Old school like me.

Back